Managing Quantity Surveyor
Recruiting for a Managing Surveyor to be based in Newbury. This is a permanent full time role working 40 hours per week. On offer will be a competitive salary.
Reporting into the Commercial Manager, the Managing Surveyor will oversee all commercial elements of either a large single project or a suite of projects together with holding a wider interest in the overall commercial performance of the Region, maximising profitability, protecting the company's legal and contractual obligations and leading on all financial and commercial issues. To provide support to the Region's board of directors in identifying and managing risk with all relevant mitigation measures, ensuring accuracy of financial reporting at all times. To aspire to the highest standards of Commercial leadership and behaviours, acting decisively and promptly to achieve the best outcomes for the company. To maintain, promote and retain strong relationships with external parties providing mutual benefits and promoting teamwork and co-operation across all other departments. To understand and adhere to the company SHEQ policy / strategy, setting a positive and pro-active example in all SHEQ related matters.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Take line management responsibility for all QS's on a large single project or within a designated suite of projects.
- To take a leading role in financial strategy at Contract Establishment stage by implementing, monitoring and managing our desired approach with QS teams.
- Maximise profit potential on all operational schemes, by carrying out regular project reviews with the site teams and Divisional Director and working direct with clients where needed.
- Maximise variation and specification change opportunities on live schemes to ensure all opportunities of increased margins are identified and considered.
- To help set up regional supply chain deals, working with the central procurement department to ensure the regions achieve the best potential in terms of supplier arrangements.
- Ensure sub-contract buying gains are maximised, working with the Divisional Director to ensure appropriate SC choices are made at contract set up.
- Identify and manage financial risk to the regions, associated with working in new areas and with new suppliers.
- Work with Divisional and Commercial Directors and legal department on any potential and live and potential disputes that can expose the region to risk.
- Manage all profitability reporting for the designated projects, working with the QS teams and operations manager, ensuring accuracy and robustness of financial reporting, with all risks and opportunities identified and discussed with the Divisional, New Build and Commercial Directors on a monthly basis.
- Ensure internal valuations and revenue / cash-flow forecasts are accurate and reflect realistic delivery on site, monitor and manage monthly changes, providing report on major movements.
- Work with Divisional Director carrying out an overall (risk/opportunities adjusted) financial report each month after completion of CVR reporting for internal management purposes.
- Maximise over-values and prompt cash collection with timely invoicing of month accrued income values.
- Ensure all QS's in the business operate in accordance with the agreed procedures and act appropriately towards all clients and suppliers.
- Recruit, retain and develop the Surveying team encouraging the highest standards of performance.
- Thoroughly induct all new Quantity Surveyors recruited into the business.
- Establish accurate cost delivery data within the region, and work with estimating teams to ensure real delivery costs are incorporated into live tenders, attend financial tender adjudication reviews to discuss potential risk and opportunities at tender stage.
- Manage staff cost allocations including direct job costed staff, reporting direct to the Commercial and New Build Director on any potential issues
- Review proposed new contract conditions as required, advising on suitability and level of risk to the board of directors, negotiating the best possible terms.
- Manage "red flag" reports, chase up outstanding issues and report progress to Commercial and New Build Director.
- Actively promote the business externally and be able to articulate the company's strategy to clients, consultants and other parties as appropriate.
Previous Experience and Qualifications
- Wide experience in a relevant Main Contracting Commercial role.
- Demonstrable experience in relevant forms of contract including JCT / NEC / PPC
- Experience within a senior surveying position reporting to either a commercial manager or director.
- Excellent negotiation / influencing skills
- Good IT skills - MS Office, Excel, Project, Word etc
- Degree in Quantity Surveying or appropriate alternative
- Proven track record in a Commercial Management / leadership role
- Relevant experience in a variety of form of construction such as Concrete Frame, Timber Frame etc.
- Demonstrable experience in line management and developing junior team members
- Good experience in disputes / claims resolution
- Demonstrable understanding of cash management
- Ability to lead issues outside own discipline where required.
- Ability to remain positive and focused at all times
Professional Membership of RICS or CIOB.Linsco is acting as an Employment Agency in relation to this vacancy.
- Managing Quantity Surveyor
Bank or payment details should not be provided when applying for a job. reed.co.uk is not responsible for any external website content. All applications should be made via the 'Apply now' button.Report this job
"Office Assistant jobs in London"