As part of our Finance team you will be working alongside a group of part and fully qualified accountants as well as non-finance colleagues across both Head Office and the wider Operations. A key priority of the role will be to drive value and challenge across the business through the building of effective working relationships. In addition you will also be responsible for supporting month end reporting, yearend reporting as well as the business planning process.
- Responsible for proactively building key relationships and acting as a business partner to a number of areas across the business, ensuring that there is transparency and a thorough understanding of the cost base.
- Responsible for delivering effective and timely financial information, particularly in the form of cost reviews, always with the stakeholders in mind, thereby ensuring that their needs are met if not exceeded.
- Constantly challenge costs and identify areas of opportunity to be more cost effective and maximise profitability, working with the business areas to put ideas into practice.
- Accurately account for costs associated with specific areas of the business in line with International Financial Reporting Standards.
- Support and input into the financial planning of the business, primarily through the production of short term rolling views and biannual budgets.
- Undertake effective variance analysis in order to understand and explain why costs have out-turned differently to budget/prior year and follow through on any actions in order to mitigate impacts on the financial year’s profitability.
- Assist in the quarterly statutory reporting process, ensuring all information is timely and delivers key messages of performance.
- Undertake ad-hoc work as required to support the wider team and business needs.
- Passed CIMA finalist or newly qualified accountant
- Minimum of 2:1 degree classification, academically strong and highly numerate.
- Ability to perform well as part of a team, working calmly under pressure and delivering to deadlines.
- Confident in managing changing priorities in a fast paced environment.
- Hard working and committed to deliver high quality work, exceeding expectations
- Strong interpersonal skills, confident and engaging when dealing with stakeholders.
- Ability to work calmly under pressure.
- Strong commercial acumen and analytical mindset.
- Demonstrates initiative and an eagerness to learn and develop personally, together with a desire to take on increasing responsibility in the workplace.
Founded in the early 1980s by John Hargreaves in Liverpool, Matalan is a family retail business that is proud to serve its customer excellent quality at great value. With over 200 stores in the UK, a growing online presence and over 15,000 employees, working here is exciting, collaborative, challenging, and above all fun! As part of the Matalan family you can expect some great benefits and the opportunity to be part of our exciting vision - to become the UK’s most trusted value retailer. This is Retail Made Real.
In the event that a high volume of suitable applications are received, the post may close prior to the specified closing date. Please apply as soon as possible if interested.
Bank or payment details should not be provided when applying for a job. reed.co.uk is not responsible for any external website content. All applications should be made via the 'Apply now' button.Report this job