We are currently recruiting for an experienced Teaching Assistant to join a special independent school for children aged 9-19 in Frome, Somerset.
You would be supporting and educating young people with emotional behavioural difficulties, complex Learning Difficulties, Autistic Spectrum Disorder and challenging behaviour.
Salary: £13,000 - £18,500 per year depending on experience.
Hours: 37.5 hours a week - Term Time only (39 weeks of the year)
About the School:
Aligning academic ability to pastoral and therapeutic outcomes is central to their work - inspiring students and staff to maximise interest, potential and personal achievement and facilitate success.
All staff know the students very well and have high expectations for what they can achieve. Teachers use lessons and Tutorials very successfully to remind students how well they are doing and what they need to do to improve further. Students contribute to the evaluation of their own work. There is a 'can-do' ethos in the school with constant encouragement of students to raise their self-esteem and to enable them to enjoy success.
They follow a broad syllabus offering key skills, small classes and individual education programmes. Their creative and flexible learning programmes are regularly monitored and reviewed. Their students participate in a full educational assessment to develop their bespoke education plan and curriculum.
The Role and Responsibilities:
- To provide the highest quality of education, care and preparation for life for all students in the school.
- Contribute to the management of student behaviour.
- Establish and maintain relationships with individuals and groups.
- Support students during learning activities.
- Observe and report on student performance.
- Contribute to planning of learning activities.
- Promote social and emotional development of students.
- Contribute to health and wellbeing of student.
- Provide literacy/numeracy support to allow access to curriculum.
- Help students to develop literacy and numeracy skills.
- To implement and deliver an appropriately broad, balanced, relevant and differentiated curriculum for students with support from teaching staff.
- To monitor and support the overall progress and development of students.
- To facilitate and encourage a learning experience which provides students. with the opportunity to achieve their individual potential.
- Proven successful experience of working with children in an educational setting
- Experience of working with autistic children.
- Have an understanding of the importance of lesson planning, IEPs and learning objectives to contribute to learning.
- Knowledge and understanding of the importance of the school's Health and Safety policy.
- Understanding of and commitment to work within the scope of the school's equal opportunities policy.
Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to work as part of a team.
- Able to communicate effectively with a range of people.
- Excellent listening skills.
- Well organised and practical.
- Ability to diffuse conflict.
- Adaptable and flexible.
- Calm under pressure.
- Able to form and maintain a range of Teaching and Learning strategies.
- Able to form and maintain appropriate professional relationships and boundaries with children and parents.
- Able to organise and deliver classroom activities.
- Able to implement a range of Teaching and Learning strategies.
- Able to deal with sensitive information in a confidential manner.
- A good level of English and Maths.
- A Childcare qualification would be desirable.
- Level 3 Award in supporting teaching and learning in schools.
- Level 3 Certificate in supporting teaching and learning in schools.
- Level 3 Certificate in cover supervision of students in schools.
- Level 3 Diploma in specialist support for teaching and learning in schools.
- Higher Level Teaching Assistant (TA4 / HLTA).
- Full manual driving licence.
- Teaching Assistant
- Learning Support Assistant