Logistics and Mortuary Assistant
At Poppy’s, we believe that funerals have the potential to be life and grief-changing experiences. With an open and honest approach, we encourage, reassure, guide and support families to have the funeral that they want - whatever that means to them. We're growing really quickly, and we know we’re onto something great with our approach. (In fact, we’ve had this confirmed by lots of awards!)
We’re looking for someone to assist with the smooth-running of the mortuary and associated logistics. You might have previous logistics and/or mortuary experience or you might be coming to this work afresh. You will have some experience of working in a practical role for a busy organisation and you’ll have natural logistical/organisational ability and empathy.
You’ll spend your time with us:
- Organising logistics and staffing for collections and funerals
- Organising funeral-related paperwork and ensuring its timely processing
- Caring for the dead in line with our natural, thoughtful, gentle approach
- Leading collections of the dead from hospital, hospice, home or care home, and leading practical support at funerals
- Welcoming clients and third parties visiting the mortuary and overseeing their experience
- Keeping the standards of the mortuary high
- Leading practical work including lining coffins, preparing grave markers, overseeing building maintenance, managing stock
- Overseeing vehicle maintenance and upkeep
- Promoting and embodying our values to the public and within the industry
- Sharing 'on call’ responsibilities with the rest of the team
(We’re a small team, so you’ll also need to be ready to work flexibly and beyond your job description when necessary, getting involved with ad hoc projects as and when they come up.)
We’re looking for someone who’s great at:
- being flexible: this role combines challenging logistical planning with significant practical responsibilities
- treating people, whether living or dead, as individuals
- delivering excellent, personal client service and exceeding expectation
- communicating clearly and confidently
- prioritising work, managing your time and multi-tasking
- attention to detail
- learning quickly - this is a fast-paced environment
- staying positive, grounded and unflappable under pressure
We’ll also need you to be:
- physically fit, and a confident and able driver, with a full clean driving licence
The finer details:
- location: This role is based at our headquarters in Tooting but you will spend a significant amount of your time driving across Greater London collecting people or helping with funerals.
- team: We’re a team of six (growing to nearer twelve by the end of the year) - in-house you’ll work pretty autonomously but you’ll also oversee an external team of bearers during the funerals themselves.
- reporting: You’ll report to our Logistics and Mortuary Manager.
- holidays: 32 days (including BHs)
Crucially, we expect everyone on the team to be able and willing to develop a sound understanding of the gentle, thoughtful, natural way we care for the dead people in our mortuary, even if they have no prior experience of this work. Full training will be given, as well as support and guidance as required.
- your hours will be 8:30am - 4:30pm Monday to Friday.
- occasionally you’ll need to be available for weekend funerals. You’ll also need to be flexible enough to start early and end late when necessary (again, not often!). You’ll be generously reimbursed for your extra time and given time off in lieu
Additional application instructions:
If this sounds like you, please send us your CV and cover letter telling us what makes you perfect for the role by 2nd May 2018.
We hope to hold interviews May 15th - 17th and have shortlisted candidates spend a few hours behind the scenes with us sometime between May 8th - 25th - for you to see in closer detail what we do and how it all works - and for us to get to know each other a little better.
We’re looking to have the successful candidate join us soon after!
Bank or payment details should not be provided when applying for a job. reed.co.uk is not responsible for any external website content. All applications should be made via the 'Apply now' button.Report this job