Linux systems engineer
Salary: from £35,000 to £40,000 per annum
Location: Bristol, Manchester or Harwell
Working in Jisc as a Systems Engineer puts you at the forefront of cutting edge software design and implementation. We are designing futuristic products for our members, who are some of the world's leading research universities. You will make a difference to the ways in which UK research contributes to technological change, society and the economy.
We want innovative engineer's excited by new challenges and who can work from their desk, their home or their favourite coffee shop, engaging with product teams and technical developers across Jisc, to create an architecture and infrastructure that enables Jisc to deliver the best services in the world.
We encourage the use of new ideas, technologies and embrace the exciting world of devops to keep our products real and focussed on the needs of our customers.
About the role
You will be responsible for the updating, maintaining, and the security of a number of Linux servers, as well as occasional Windows-based servers as required, together with administering and maintaining a number of databases. You will also be required to support our authentication mechanisms. We will need you to contribute to the infrastructure design and planning, implementing improvements to the systems, taking advantage of technology where appropriate, and will provide guidance on opportunities and increase the use of new technologies.
You will be pivotal in supporting applications the company have on a wide variety of servers, in VMWare and AWS environments, running commercial, bespoke and open source applications and tools. You will provide the day-to-day technical expertise to administer these servers that underpin the company's information and digital platforms.
You will report to the Head of infrastructure within Group infrastructure, as well as also working with other Jisc functions to ensure the smooth running of systems throughout the company.
As our Systems Engineer, you will:
- Provide system administration and technical support for VMWare ESX and VSphere and for services based upon a Linux, Apache (and TomCat), Mysql, PHP stack, with responsibility for the delivery in reliable and highly available environments
- Work with technical experts and internal customers across different divisions, including Group infrastructure, Jisc technologies, Security operations centre, and the Network operations centre to ensure a consistent professional approach to systems security and delivery
- Manage all aspects of the LAMP web server environments, including patching software and implementing scalable web architectures, taking advantage of performance enhancing tools
- Manage all aspects of the server environment, from initial requirement through the entire life cycle, including upgrades and eventual replacement
- Manage domain names, SSL certificates and Vhosts on all web servers
- Support the group's development team in planning and building a robust infrastructure to test and deploy new software releases, assisting and creating frameworks and processes to support the group's function
- Plan and refine infrastructure monitoring and performance, including implementing backup and recovery systems and procedures as well as implementing continuous integrations systems and methods for testing software deployments
- Help administer and make changes to the Jisc IDPs with regards to necessary changes to support our digital systems
- 25 days annual leave, plus 3 extra days for our Christmas closure, in addition to eight bank holidays
- Our generous USS contributory pension scheme (8% employee and 18% employer contribution)
- Competitive maternity, adoption and paternity arrangements
- Death-in-service benefit of three times salary
- Several staff schemes including season ticket loans, childcare vouchers, cycle-to-work, eye care, employee assistance
- Opportunity for performance-related pay progression
- IT discounts with selected suppliers
This role will be based in Bristol, Manchester or Harwell.
Jisc is a geographically-distributed organisation and travel across the UK with occasional overnight stays will be required.
Difference is good, and here at Jisc we want to celebrate it. So regardless of your background or personal characteristics, if you are great at what you do, we want to hear from you.
No agencies please.