Linux Engineer - onsite at Bank of England
Join us as a Linux Technician with the Bank of England*
(London, Full-time, Permanent)
*We are keen to hear from recent Graduates or individuals ready for a career within this field
At Capita, we support clients across a range of sectors, including local Government, central Government, Education, Transport, Health, Life and Pensions, Insurance, Banking and other private sector organisations. We support with expertise applied by the talent across our business in combination with technology, insight and analytics to keep our clients ahead of change, sharper than competitors and more efficient than ever - and we always need new talent to help us achieve our goals.
THE ROLE OF A LINUX TECHNICIAN
The Linux Technician will be a member of the Infrastructure Delivery team which is accountable for the engineering and delivery of the Bank's varied server infrastructure.
Key responsibilities include, and are not limited to:
- Leadership, Teamwork & Communication - Ensures effective relationships are sustained across the wider Technology team, internal and external stakeholders, and any domain partners/suppliers.
- Strategic Partner Management - Contributes to the relationships with the Bank's strategic partners/suppliers in support of the wider Technology community.
- Contracts & Commercial Capability - Strives to deliver the best value for money by continually looking for improvements/efficiencies across both server delivery and capital expenditure.
- Technology Strategy - Work closely with Architecture to lead the development and implementation and of the Linux server estate within the Bank and, more specifically, to produce and articulately communicate a clear view of the domain's future strategy in Linux server delivery.
- Delivery - Support both the Delivery team leader and Infrastructure Engineering Manager to ensure that all change, whether programmes and projects, or smaller scale releases, is delivered in a timely and cost-efficient way, whilst ensuring that they align to both operations and the future domain strategy.
- Domain Enablement - Ensure compliance with key audit, risk, and security policies and procedures applicable to the Linux server estate.Working as part of a team responsible for delivering infrastructure projects, the Linux Engineer will be involved in the following activities, amongst others
- Provisioning of Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL 6 and 7) systems in both physical and virtual environments
- Development of scripts for automated configuration management, monitoring, batch and deployment
- Provide recommendations for improvements to current delivery and operational processes and procedures
- Mentoring and guidance for other Linux engineers
- Advise project managers on Linux-related technical and delivery matters
- Previous experience in a technical position within Linux platform support and/or delivery
- Familiarity with request, problem and project management processes and tools
- Detail-oriented, process driven, highly innovative mindset, with deeply engrained sense of ownership for the projects delivered
- Proven track record of working well under pressure, thinking clearly and logical in challenging situations
- Flexible in approach and inventive in order to deliver the right outcomes
- Strong customer focus and an excellent ability to manage customer relationships and understand requirements and expectations
- Adept at stakeholder communications, from senior level to domain-wide engagement events
- A broad and deep understanding of best practice in applying appropriate processes, technologies, and resources to deliver a high-quality solution
- Experienced in managing risk, compliance, audit and security obligations, including implementation of disaster recovery and business continuity procedures
- Previous experience in the Finance sector is preferred
ESSENTIAL TECHNICAL SKILLS & REQUIREMENTS:
- Managing Red Hat Enterprise Linux production systems (RHEL 5, 6 and 7)
- Using scripting to automate tasks
- Planning and prioritising of project delivery activities
- Good interpersonal and communication skills
- Strong analytical and troubleshooting skills
- Experience with virtualisation technologies (Linux under VMWare)
- ITIL framework experience
- Experience of managing systems with RHN satellite
Capita Resourcing operates as an equal opportunities employer and we welcome applications from all suitably qualified candidates regardless of gender identity or gender expression, marital status, sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity, ethnic origin, nationality, religion or beliefs, disability, age, political opinions or trade union membership.
Bank or payment details should never be provided when applying for a job. For information on how to stay safe in your job search, visit SAFERjobs.Report this job
"Office Assistant jobs in London"
'Saved search name'