Provide help and assistance to students and other library users .Contribute to sorting, shelving and tidying.
Your new role
- Roving in the Library to give general advice and assistance to both staff and students on matters relating to use of the Library, for example with use of photocopiers/printers and finding books.
- Communicating with colleagues via radio or other means to deal with any assistance, safety, or equipment needs. Sharing of information with Library staff on duty and other colleagues as appropriate.
- Assisting in promoting and maintaining self-service technologies, including the desensitising of books that have receipts for their issue.
- Ensuring an appropriate atmosphere for study by regularly patrolling all areas to ensure University Rules on user discipline are being observed. The security of the Libraries including control of keys, locking and unlocking the Library, and dealing effectively with breaches of security or infringement of the University Rules on conduct.
- Maintaining the operation of the Reception office in The Sir Michael Cobham Library and other exit points, including security camera surveillance.
- Assisting staff to enforce University Rules.
- Maintaining equipment supplies, including photocopiers and printers. Dealing with minor breakdown; reporting defects or problems.
- Clearing the Libraries at closing times, ensuring that electrical equipment and lights are switched off as appropriate, windows are shut as required and building locked and secured.
- Making regular checks that fire equipment is in the correct place and in apparent working order, and that fire exits are not obstructed. Being familiar with the duties required during a fire alert.
- Sorting, distributing and collecting post within The Sir Michael Cobham Library and recording and dealing with lost property.
- Maintaining a tidy environment by clearing rubbish and waste from desks.
- Doing head counts and recording other activity statistics as directed.
- Emptying book boxes, sorting, re-shelving and tidying of materials as part of daily routines.
- Reporting problems with lift operation to the Estates Group and Library & Learning Support Staff, assisting in the evacuation of persons from the lift as required.
- Simple maintenance and repair of furniture, equipment and other fittings and monitoring/reporting defects to the Estates Group and other University staff as directed.
- Moving furniture, trolleys and equipment and other materials as required.
- Emptying and sorting crates from other sites, including lifting and moving material between the Library and the Library Store.
- Taking fines monies to the University Cashier and collecting change from the Cashier or bank as required.
- Such other duties as may be required by the University Librarian.
What you need to do now
If you're interested in this role, click 'apply now' to forward an up-to-date copy of your CV, or call us now.
If this job isn't quite right for you but you are looking for a new position, please contact us for a confidential discussion on your career.
Bank or payment details should not be provided when applying for a job. reed.co.uk is not responsible for any external website content. All applications should be made via the 'Apply now' button.Report this job
"Office Assistant jobs in London"
'Saved search name'