Full time, 35 hours per week
Grade EL, Salary £33,868 per annum
Location Euston Square, London
Close date: 5.00pm on 18 April 2018
Interview date: 3 May 2018 TBC
The Royal College of General Practitioners is the largest membership organisation solely for GPs in the United Kingdom. Founded in 1952, it has over 52,000 members who are committed to improving patient care, developing their own skills and promoting general practice as a discipline. General practice is the largest branch of the medical profession. It provides some 1 million consultations for patients in the UK every working day and deals with 86% of the health problems experienced by the UK population.
The RCGP Librarian is pivotal in delivering services to members, customers and stakeholders by managing the day to day activities and relationships in respect of the library service.
The Librarian acts as the focal point for all library related improvement and development projects whilst delivering proposed outcomes in agreed timescales, budgets whilst exceeding stakeholder expectations.
The role supports and coordinates activities that provides value adding services to members, customers and internal stakeholders. The role troubleshoots and documents all library related issues to mutually agreed resolutions and prioritises service improvements that ensures the service remains a valued member benefit that satisfies and exceeds the needs of all stakeholders
The successful candidate will be qualified to degree level in a library or information science discipline, ideally have previous library experience within a professional organisation, knowledge of electronic information management systems, experience of retrieving information from databases, journals and other sources and a working knowledge and understanding of online library service delivery.
Key tasks and responsibilities:
- Maintain the RCGP library collections and provide relevant research services
- Managing the planning and daily administrative functions of the library
- Attend or host events to promote library services and the RCGP
- Prepare management reports, collate trends to facilitate marketing, and manage the library management in order to deliver targets within budget
- Provide administrative support to support the delivery of the Records Management and Document Retention Strategy.
The required Education, Knowledge and personal attributes are:
- Qualified to degree level in a library or information science discipline
- Understanding of the UK healthcare infrastructure (desirable)
- An understanding of legislation relating to information work, e.g. Data Protection, Copyright, GDPR and document retention (non-personal data)
- Ability to manage and develop a specialised journal collection
- Ability to work independently and prioritise a varied and demanding workload
- Ability to develop new ideas, and continually improve processes and services
- Excellent customer service skills including face-to-face, written and electronic
The successful candidate will share our corporate values. In return, the College offers excellent terms and conditions.
To apply please upload your CV and cover letter via the RCGP careers page, work-at-rcgp/internal-vacancies-at-rcgp.aspx
To request the job description please email
The Royal College of General Practitioners is an equal opportunities employer and welcomes applications from all sections of the community.
~ Great doctors great care ~
- Excellent communication skills
- Attention to detail
- Good team working skills
- Ability to prioritise
Bank or payment details should not be provided when applying for a job. reed.co.uk is not responsible for any external website content. All applications should be made via the 'Apply now' button.Report this job