Resourcing and workflow management
- Take responsibility for the work you and your team produce ensuring high levels of attention to detail.
- To support the LSM in helping to ensure quality of support to fee earners and make recommendations for where improvements can be made.
- Manage resourcing of all Legal PA administrative staff by monitoring coverage, allocations, overtime and sickness/holiday absence.
- To attend and contribute to team meetings, identifying new ways of working and suggesting improvements.
- To encourage the PAs/Administrators to take ownership of projects and provide resourcing solution.
- Ensure effective utilisation of in-house and off-shore resources to include DPU, Manila and Belfast.
- Take an active interest in the workload and requirements of each area across the business and provide flexible services to ensure deadlines are consistently met.
- Support your team to prioritise work daily by checking timescales, ensuring most important tasks are completed first, working with other LSTLs to address and manage peaks in workflow should the need arise.
- Identify workflow issues and collaborate with others to propose solutions.
People management, development and leadership
- To act as role model demonstrating exceptional behaviours at all times, including being available to PAs and stakeholders to deal with operational matters.
- Create and maintain an efficient, effective and motivated team; encourage and inspire the team and positively influence morale; guide the team and lead by example.
- Deal with any conflict within the team and break down barriers to create effective communications; flexing leadership style according to the individual, task and situation.
- Be continually aware of, monitor and manage any performance, time keeping, sickness and informal employee issues escalating to the Legal Support Manager or HR in a timely manner.
- To ensure PAs/Administrators adhere to Standard Operating Procedures, identifying performance and behavioural issues, identifying areas for improvement, implementing Performance Improvement Plans, setting and monitoring performance objectives.
- To manage performance of PAs/Administrators to formal stage of HR process.
- To manage evaluation process for team, helping to collate quality and substantive feedback from the fee earners as appropriate and as necessary, writing evaluation forms and conducting evaluation meetings.
- To provide regular objective and constructive feedback with a view to motivating and enhancing performance.
- Work with the Learning and Development team to identify skills gaps and training needs and address through a variety of learning interventions across the function.
- Identify and support talent within the team, make recommendations to support career progression and prepare business cases for submission.
- To communicate regularly with all Legal PAs and Administrators and be a visible presence; conducting regular 1:1s and team meetings.
- In conjunction with the recruitment team and LSM, review CV's, take part in first stage interviews and onboarding.
- Run team meetings on a regular basis, prepare agendas, ensure actions are allocated.
- To promote and monitor the wellbeing and work life balance of the PA team.
- Be flexible in approach to role and task completion and when applicable 'step-in' or 'step-up' to other roles/positions that may need support.
Practice management support (specifics to be agreed with Department Manager and reviewed in conjunction with SLPA role)
- To meet regularly with (DMs), Partners and Business Managers to review the effectiveness of the secretarial team and ad hoc projects for them
- To support DMs with highly confidential matters, projects and documentation, as appropriate
- Assist the Department Manager and Business Manager with space management and office moves.
Strategic thinking and change management
- Working with the wider LSTL team and the LSM to support introduction of new processes or projects e.g. billing process improvement, CDD.
- Lead on embedding the reviewed secretarial models by continually assessing best practice considering the implications on advancing technology and ensure the Legal PA / Admin group skillsets are developed to support this.
- Build relationships of trust across the firm by liaising with other Business Services teams and keeping abreast of firmwide initiatives and communicating as appropriate.
- Promote and ensure that tasks are done by the appropriate resource, including Matter Administrators, General Administrators, DPU, Belfast and Manila.
- Work with the LSM to determine the firm’s needs for delivery and user expectations of support; adapting and delivering change management programmes in line with business requirements.
- Review, implement and improve processes and systems where necessary to ensure that the Legal PAs and Legal Administrators are working as efficiently as possible.
- Develop and maintain a strong network across departments and externally in order to keep the LSTL team responsive to changes in the business, sharing best practice.