At Tilly Bailey & Irvine Law we can trace our heritage back over 175 years to our Hartlepool roots. We have expanded and developed considerably over the years including the addition of offices in Stockton-on-Tees, Barnard Castle and Wynyard.
We have recently expanded our Commercial Property department and are now looking for an experienced Legal Secretary to provide support to our senior fee earners to ensure the smooth running of transactions for our clients.
If you have experience of working as a Legal Secretary within a busy law firm, preferably within a Commercial Property department, we would love to hear from you.
Main duties and requirements
- Providing full generic secretarial support to fee earners, as required, including preparing correspondence and documents through fast and accurate audio-typing and word processing.
- Opening, maintaining and closing files on the client management system.
- Dealing with title deeds including; requesting title deeds from lenders, scheduling deeds and arranging storage and retrieval of title deeds in accordance with office procedures.
- Preparing mail and enclosures for dispatch.
- Obtaining copy documents and office copy entries from the Land Registry using their online portal.
- Making appointments and arranging meetings; including liaising with reception staff to organise facilities such as rooms and refreshments, and maintaining an up-to-date diary for his/her fee earner(s).
- Attending clients, both in person and on the telephone, and providing such support in a professional and friendly manner in-keeping with the Firm’s standards for client care.
Preferred skills and experience
- Experience of working in a legal environment along with relevant departmental experience.
- Fast and accurate audio and copy typing skills, including digital dictation and integrated legal software systems.
- Experience of Microsoft Office Suite, including Word and Excel.
- Excellent English grammar/spelling; familiarity with legal terminology and numerical skills.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, including experience in dealing with a range of clients via telephone and face-to-face.
- Discretion and confidentiality is essential.
- Ability to organise and prioritise your workload to the required standard and within the required timescales.
- Ability to work effectively within a team as well as independently.
- Ability to work under pressure as and when required; this may involve some flexibility in working hours and occasional overtime where deadlines need to be met.
- Proactive and able to use own initiative within guidelines as set by the Partners and fee earners.
The successful candidate will have a genuine interest and enthusiasm for developing their career as a legal secretary and will be able to use their initiative to contribute to the smooth running of the department.
If you are interested in applying for this position, please submit your CV and a covering letter.
Further details of this position are also available on our website.
- Audio Typing
- Organisational Skills
- Client Liaison
- Legal Compliance