As Legal Counsel, you will provide practical and expert legal advice on all commercial and data protection issues to Equifax UK & Ireland, and its UK subsidiary businesses.
Supported by both a line manager and other functional specialists, the Legal Counsel will work autonomously on complex and sensitive matters. The Legal Counsel will provide specialist data protection advice and take a proactive approach to identify and address legal and regulatory risk issues, enhancing the service of the Legal team.
Additional responsibilities of the Legal Counsel include:
- Provision of legal advice, most commonly in the areas of contract and data protection, ensuring:
- Proper account is taken of legal and regulatory risks, so as to mitigate those risks and protect the Company's position
- The Company's commercial objectives are fully supported
- Lead the drafting and negotiation of commercial agreements relating to the Company's business and provide advice in respect of associated legal risks
- Assist with the design, drafting, implementation and communication of enhancements and amendments to existing products and the development of new products, in order that all incorporated legal terms correspond with the intended operation, marketing and outcome of those products
- Review and contribute to the ongoing revision of terms of business, corporate policies and processes
- Monitor new laws and regulations relevant to the Company's business, including seeking out strategic opportunities from changing regulation
- Assist with the formulation and delivery of coherent and commercially aware legal advice, so as to ensure the provision of relevant and seamless delivery of legal services to the business
- Contribute to the development of the in house Legal function, ensuring the team is regarded as a respected adviser, trusted partner and business enabler
- Maintain a comprehensive knowledge of the Company's policies and procedures and proactively advises on legal and regulatory developments
Required Skills & Experience of theLegal Counsel:
- An excellent working knowledge of commercial law, data protection, privacy concepts and regulation
- Knowledge of data protection law applicable to the Company's business and any related matters likely to have an impact on its procedural operations
- Up to date professional knowledge with an accessible, commercial and practical approach
- An appreciation of the impact of legal and commercial decisions on regulatory best practice
- An understanding of both short and long-term business goals
- Understanding the importance of robust best-practice in delivering practical legal solutions
- A track-record of meeting tight deadlines and fulfilling demanding requirements
Preferred Skills & Experience of the Legal Counsel:
- Recent Financial Services industry experience
What exactly does Equifax do?
Equifax is a global information solutions company that uses trusted unique data, innovative analytics, technology and industry expertise to power organizations and individuals around the world by transforming knowledge into insights that help make more informed business and personal decisions. The company organizes, assimilates and analyses data on more than 820 million consumers and more than 91 million businesses worldwide, and its database includes employee data contributed from more than 7,100 employers.
Headquartered in Atlanta, Ga., Equifax operates or has investments in 24 countries in North America, Central and South America, Europe and the Asia Pacific region. It is a member of Standard & Poor's (S&P) 500 Index, and its common stock is traded on the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) under the symbol EFX. Equifax employs approximately 10,000 employees worldwide.
Some noteworthy achievements for the company include: Named to the Top 100 American Banker FinTech Forward list (2015-2016); named a Top Technology Provider on the FinTech 100 list (2004-2016); named an InformationWeek Elite 100 Winner (2014-2015); named a Top Workplace by Atlanta Journal Constitution (2013-2017); named one of Fortune's World's Most Admired Companies (2011-2015); named one of Forbes' World's 100 Most Innovative Companies (2015-2017). For more information, visit www.equifax.com .
- Commercially aware
- Strategic Counsel