Our team of business services staff play a significant role in the success of Dentons, and we recruit staff into a wide variety of areas. Here, we look for focused, flexible individuals from a variety of backgrounds who are team players. Previous experience within the legal sector is not essential. We want to give everyone the opportunity to develop his or her potential fully and, therefore, provide support, training and encouragement to members of staff at all levels.Purpose of role
The Legal Cashier will be responsible for the handling of routine cash transactions for the firm, ensuring that the SRA Accounts Rules are adhered to at all times.
The role will include providing a legal cashiering service with a focus on Client Account funds with the need to provide cover for the other Legal Cashier (Office Account) to ensure a reliable, quality service is maintained at all times. The role is a 12 month fixed term contract.ResponsibilitiesClient Account (Day to day duties):
- Ensuring all Client Account transactions are dealt with in accordance with the SRA Accounts Rules
- Processing and posting of Client Account CHAPS/SWIFT/BACS payments from Barclays.net. and RBS Bankline in a timely manner in line with firm's policies and authority limits
- Timely production of Client Account cheques when requested
- Stopping and cancelling any out of date Client Account cheques once the firm's 6 month deadline has elapsed and speaking to Fee Earners to ascertain whether a new cheque is required
- Client Account banking and processing
- Reviewing Client Account transactions on a transactional basis to ensure all Client to Bills transfers are completed within 14 days.
- Checking Client Account regularly to ensure Client Account balances do not become residual
- Full running and checking of weekly reports to assist with the general housekeeping of matters and any potential COFA breaches reported to the Accounts Supervisor/Legal
- Cashiers Manager when they occur
- Processing a transfer of costs report weekly
- Assisting with monthly billing and occasional credit control as required
- Regular archiving of dormant matters
- Weekly Client Residual balance report, liaising with Fee Earning departments to return funds appropriately and promptly.
- Taking credit/debit card payments from clients when required
- Inputting payments on RBS bankline when required by the London cashiers team
- Working on the daily Land Registry report and dealing with any exceptions on the day
- Posting online searches and liaising with London cashiers for Professional and Counsel fees
- Reconciling the PCOL invoices monthly and dealing with any exceptions in a timely manner
- Office Account banking and processing
- Daily posting of Agents fees in a timely manner for billing
- Posting postage charges for billing for Milton Keynes and Watford offices
- Timely production of Office Account cheques/payments when required in a timely manner
- Archiving completed matters
- Working closely with the Senior Cashier in London to correct any errors on the office and client bank reconciliations immediately.
- Assisting the Accounts Supervisor with any other ad hoc duties
- Inputting payments on RBS bankline when required by the London cashiers team.
- Working knowledge of the Solicitors Accounts Rules
- Previous experience of working within a cashiering environment
- Legal Sector Client account experience preferred
- Possesses the confidence to deal effectively with Partners, and to discuss their files
- Able to prioritise and multi-task particularly when working under pressure and to tight deadlines
- Methodical approach to work with a strong focus on accuracy
- Hardworking and enthusiastic approach to work; professional in outlook, attitude and appearance
- Confident using MS Office, including Word and Excel
- Knowledge of the Elite accounts system would be an advantage
- Knowledge of banking systems ideally RBS Bankline and Barclays.net
We are a truly global law firm and as such, always welcome hearing from those with foreign language capabilities. In light of our recent combination, Mandarin language fluency would be particularly advantageous given that China is now core to our strategy.Equal opportunities
Dentons is committed to providing equal opportunities for all. If, as a result of a disability, you believe that there are aspects of the recruitment process or job that you would find more difficult than a non-disabled person, please tell us as soon as possible. We will then be able to discuss with you any reasonable adjustments that could be made to the recruitment process or the job itself.The firm
Dentons is always looking to invest in the highest-quality talent, recognising that our success is built on the diverse and unique strengths of each of the members of our Firm.
Dentons is the world's largest law firm, delivering quality