We have just taken a new Legal Cashier role working for a leading law firm based in central Reading.
This is a permanent, full time position.
The purpose of the role is to supply an efficient and accurate legal cashiering service for the Legal Advisers and other support functions accross the business.
This is an excellent opportunity for someone preferably with previous experience within a legal finance environment, to broaden their knowledge and gain new skills. You will need to have excellent communication skills, a keen eye for detail, flexibility, able to manage your own workload within tight deadlines.
- Sending all CHAPS/International and Faster payments daily within the specified deadlines
- To understand & follow agreed procedures for reviewing and operating Bankline.
- To raise, post and distribute client & office cheques to LA’s / PA’s, this will also include banking. These duties are to be performed on a daily basis.
- To reconcile out of date cheques on a regular basis and to report into the Finance Manager monthly.
- To carry out any transfers i.e. client to client, matter to matter, client to bill, client to disbursement and disbursement to disbursements in accordance with Shoosmiths policies.
- Log anticipated and actual disbursements onto the ledger which should be kept up to date on the accounting system in accordance to our policies.
- Post special delivery & other soft charges daily.
- To understand the billing process and raise bills on a daily basis.
- To understand the process of credit notes/write offs/cancellations/foreign invoices
- To have a full understanding of the VAT treatment of overseas clients
- Preferable to have knowledge/understanding of E-Billing systems
- To ensure work is handed out to the team promptly.
- To understand and ensure compliance with the Accounts Rules in relation to all tasks.
- Be proactive within the Finance team and be willing to make suggestions where they feel they will make more efficient processes.
- To cover other team members with holidays or absence.
- To assist Finance departments at other sites if required.
- File and date stamp, bank statements daily.
- Petty Cash and Stamps when required
- General daily filing.
- To ensure all charity cash is counted on a weekly basis and banked the same day or next working day.
- Ensure there is a sufficient supply of banking books and cheques.
- Ensure that any problems are appropriately communicated to your Finance Manager and/or team and Legal Advisors promptly.
- To provide assistance to the 'Lead Cashier’ when required.
- Additional hours required during peak times including month end, quarterly and year end.
- This list is not exhaustive and duties include various other tasks as directed by the Finance Manager.