About the role
As Lead Web Developer, you will be responsible for developing and maintaining YoYo Games' websites and online services, both internal and public-facing. You will lead projects from a technical side and mentor more junior developers assisting on projects.
The main duties & responsibilities
- Design, develop and maintain all the YoYo Games websites and web APIs.
- Backend product logic, server architecture and communication design.
- Collaboration with business, technical and management teams on design and development.
- Creation and maintenance of admin and moderation tools for updating content, product information and user accounts.
- Server setup and maintenance across dedicated remote servers (RapidSwitch), virtual cloud servers (Amazon EC2), databases (MySQL on RapidSwitch and Amazon RDB) and cloud hosting (Amazon S3, MaxCDN).
- SSL certificate management on multiple machines across all of the above services.
- Help mentor and grow the Web team.
- Excellent and current knowledge of web development techniques, languages and frameworks
- 2 or more years as a lead web developer or 5 or more as a Senior
- Thorough understanding of Ruby on Rails, or another MVC framework
- Linux command line (Ubuntu)
- NoSQL, design and optimisation (Amazon DynamoDB experience a bonus)
- Web server configuration (nginx, Apache)
- Amazon AWS expertise
- Back-end web development experience
- Experience with eCommerce development
- Relevant work experience in online commerce environments, distributed systems and/or developing large scale web applications
- Payment process integration (PayPal, Ogone, etc)
- Search engine setup (ElasticSearch)
- Strong analytical, problem solving, and project management skills
- Experience with automated deployment (Capistrano)
- Experience working on the *nix command-line, both locally and on remote servers
- Knowledge of, or experience with, cloud-based services (Amazon EC2 and S3/CloudFront, MaxCDN, etc.)
- Source control (Git, Mercurial) and remote repositories (Github, Bitbucket, etc.)
- Dynamic stylesheet languages (SASS or Less)
- Passionate about web development
- Excellent time management and prioritisation skills
- Highly organised with the ability to manage several projects at the same time
- Management experience
- Computer Science/Web Computing/ equivalent degree
- Experience with GameMaker Studio™
A bit about us
YoYo Games joined the Playtech family in 2015. Being based in Dundee, we are thrilled to be at the centre of one of the most beautiful countries in the world, Scotland. The quality of life here is affordable and exciting. We have beautiful cities, vibrant nightlife, skiing, castles, hill walking and beaches all within easy reach of our studio. Dundee has 2 great universities and Abertay is considered one of the top universities to study Games design.
We believe in an open, relaxed and fun environment where creativity and talent thrive and is encouraged every day. From our humble beginnings, we have always ensured that GameMaker was built and developed with usability and efficiency in mind - and that’s no different today. A single code base and a low barrier to entry coupled with a very high skill ceiling mean we accommodate all levels of user, from the hobbyists to the seasoned developers. We then allow all games to run natively across a multitude of platforms including PS4, Xbox One, Android, iOS, OS X, HTML5, Linux, Windows 8, Windows Phone 8 and Windows RT.
This is an opportunity for you to join a fun and supportive team, with an emphasis and enthusiasm for technology.
We offer a competitive salary, training, health insurance, life assurance, child care vouchers, season ticket loans, pension scheme, cycle to work scheme, subsidised gym membership, 25 days annual leave and more.
- Linux / NoSQL
- Ruby on Rails / NodeJS
- Web Languages / Frameworks
- nginx / Apache / AWS