About the Organisation
My client has a worldwide reputation as a leading independent provider of education research and analysis. With an income of £18 million and 220 staff, they are a registered charity that has contributed evidence, in-depth knowledge, and research expertise to support the creation of an excellent education for all children and young people for over seventy years. Their research, assessments and other services are widely known, highly respected and used by key decision makers in the UK and internationally. Improving the lives of children and young people is at the heart of everything we do.
They are growing in the UK and also has a rapidly expanding portfolio of international work focussed on East Africa and the Gulf. We are also increasingly using economic approaches to interrogate the rich data sets available on education issues to identify the key factors affecting children’s outcomes, understand what drives school improvement, and to explore the incentives facing teachers and school leaders. They are therefore now looking to appoint economists which an excellent set of technical skills and a passion for making a difference to education.
The main focus of the lead economist roles is to take forward the strategic development work across my clients eight priority areas. They will be expected to take responsibility for developing strategic plans for building or growing their presence across these prioritiy areas. They will need to identify opportunities for, and lead in the development of innovative research and econometric solutions which will fill evidence gaps and address the interests and needs of policy makers and practitioners.
Another key part of the role is to help raise their visibility with policy makers and the wider sector, so the successful candidates will need to develop and maintain successful and impactful relationships with clients and other stakeholders.
- A first degree or higher degree in economics, with a strong microeconomics and evaluation element
- Strong quantitative research skills, including knowledge of statistical techniques used in applied economics and experience/understanding of how to develop economic models to support decision making
- Experience of applying economic principles and analysis to policy questions, with a willingness to be involved in all aspects of research projects – from empirical analysis to writing final reports and giving presentations
- Experienced user of statistical software, for example STATA, SPSS, R, MPlus and MLWin
- Ability to take responsibility for, or to support, research projects and to appitude to fulfil project leader activities
- Ability to understand the principles of project management, including the management of resources, budget, risk and team management
- Effective verbal and written communication skills, with experience / aptitude for drafting research reports and / or publications as an author
- Able to work with a considerable degree of autonomy and to consistently meet deadlines
- Able to work effectively in a team
- High degree of organisational ability
This is an international searches my client would look to sponsor the candidate if required.