The Large and Listed tax team at Mazars’ Birmingham has experienced fantastic success over the last three years. The team has expanded from 2 to 9 members, building a strong reputation in the Midlands market, and more than quadrupled its fee income. The senior management members of the team are all ex-Big4 tax professionals who also have experience of working in industry in large multinational companies.
In order to build on this success we are seeking a manager with a breadth of advisory experience – with a focus on international taxation:
• To manage a portfolio of listed companies, UK and overseas-owned groups, private equity backed groups and larger OMBs, UK inbound or outbound, effectively and within budget within our highly successful and rapidly growing tax department
• To assist Partners, Directors and Senior Managers deliver outstanding quality tax advisory service for our clients
• To assist with strengthening our “best in class” team and help develop the junior members of the team.
The clients of the Large and Listed Tax team tend to have operations in a number of countries, often in Europe and North America, but also in China, India, Russia and South America and would require assistance with their overall tax position, including;
1. Cross-border transactions (and expansion into new markets) (including in respect of Base Erosion and Profit Shifting and Brexit)
2. Transfer pricing (TP) and Advance Thin Capitalisation Agreements (ATCA)
3. General corporate tax advisory services
4. Group tax forecasting and reporting
5. Some management of compliance, reporting and relationships with tax authorities
We have a number of country desks (including German, Chinese and Indian) and also given that we are an integrated global firm we work on daily basis with our overseas offices to promptly provide commercial cross-border tax services and advice to our clients.
UK-only advisory assignments can include group tax planning and restructuring, large business strategy and Senior Accounting Officer advice
To assist the Large and Listed Tax Partner and Senior Managers, as well as the wider firm’s Partners and Directors with the following:
• Managing the successful delivery of complex international tax projects, ensuring technical excellence and providing practical solutions, including in respect of Base Erosion and Profit Shifting and Brexit;
• Understand the impact on the CFC regulations;
• Understand the taxation of foreign branches;
• Deal with withholding tax matters;
• TP work including ATCAs;
• Involvement in tax clearances and liaison with overseas offices;
• Being a main point of contact with the clients’ finance directors or heads of tax, and liaise with our clients and with the Mazars’ network to develop outstanding professional relationships and introduce or supervise Mazars’ activities.
• Working with other parts of the firm, under the Mazars’ one Firm approach in the UK and globally, and with our audit and corporate finance teams, to support recurring accounting work and one-off transactions or projects;
• Reviewing and ensuring files are of an appropriate standard for Quality Control Review purposes;
• Undertaking final reviews of corporate tax returns prepared by Mazars’ Compliance team for Large and Listed clients;
• Ensure complex client queries are responded to effectively and promptly;
• Reviewing group tax reporting and tax consolidation models prepared by junior members of the team, under IFRS, and reviewing accounts disclosures;
• Identifying cross selling and business development opportunities, keeping client and prospects abreast of relevant developments and opportunities;
• Being responsible for supervising more junior staff, coaching and mentoring the team;
• Keeping other parts of the firm and/or overseas offices informed; and
• Monitoring levels of work in progress and managing the billing cycle.
• ACA and/or CTA qualified or equivalent
• In-depth tax technical knowledge and practical knowledge of the UK Corporation tax system, acknowledged as an expert in their specialist field and able to deal with complex tax issues
• Demonstrable post qualified experience, International and TP and/or large business background in professional practice, in a multinational company or at HMRC
• In depth (international) structuring and restructuring, international M&A and planning experience
• Able to identify tax issues and research them
• Analytical skills to evaluate options, develop recommendations, and provide advice
• Deep experience of identifying opportunities for business development on tax clients and across other service lines
• Maintain an in depth, up to date, knowledge of relevant aspects of taxation
• An ambitious and enthusiastic tax professional prepared to undertake a wide variety of UK and International tax work to support a fast growing department
• Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to develop valuable long-term relationships with clients
• Energetic and professional approach
• Deep experience of managing the financials on clients, and adjusting the approach to advisory work depending on the available budget
• Proactive self-starter
• Excellent tax opinion and report writing skills
• Significant experience of developing project plans and ensuring deadlines are met
• Deep experience of coaching and mentoring junior members of the team
• Able to work with limited supervision and to tight deadlines
• Ability to manage a number of diverse issues and identify need for support
• Keen eye for detail
Please CLICK HERE to download our benefits booklet
Please CLICK HERE to download the job description.
Mazars is all about people – we believe that each individual makes a difference to the Mazars culture. As an international firm with strong European roots, we are a melting pot of different cultures and disciplines. Diversity is one of our main strengths.
We are an international, integrated, transparent and independent organisation specialising in audit, accountancy, tax, legal, and advisory services. The Group has a presence in 79 countries and draws on the expertise of 17,000 professionals.
We all work within a culture of high support and high challenge at Mazars. We are not afraid to take on new and greater responsibilities. But we do this through encouragement – not pressure and competition.
Mazars LLP is an equal opportunities employe