About the role
As Junior Web Developer, you will assist more senior developers in developing and maintaining YoYo Games' websites and online services, both internal and public-facing.
The main duties and responsibilities
- Design, develop and maintain all the YoYo Games websites and web APIs.
- Backend product logic, server architecture and communication design.
- Collaboration with business, technical and management teams on design and development.
- Creation and maintenance of admin and moderation tools for updating content, product information and user accounts.
- Server setup and maintenance across dedicated remote servers (RapidSwitch), virtual cloud servers (Amazon EC2), databases (MySQL on RapidSwitch and Amazon RDB) and cloud hosting (Amazon S3, MaxCDN).
- SSL certificate management on multiple machines across all of the above services.
- One or more years' experience in Ruby on Rails, or two years in another web MVC framework
- Relational databases (MySQL, PostgreSQL, etc.), including schema design
- Cloud-based services (Amazon AWS, Heroku, etc.)
- Source control (Git, Mercurial, etc.) and remote repositories (Github, Bitbucket, etc.)
- Passionate about web development
- Strong analytical and problem solving abilities
- Excellent time management and prioritisation skills
- Highly organised with the ability to manage several projects at the same time
- Experience working on the *nix command-line, both locally and on remote servers
- Webserver configuration (nginx, Apache)
- Experience with automated deployment (Capistrano)
- NoSQL database design and optimisation (Amazon DynamoDB experience a bonus)
- Amazon AWS expertise
- Dynamic stylesheet languages (SASS or Less)
- Relevant work experience in e-commerce environments, distributed systems and/or developing large scale web applications
- Payment process integration (PayPal, WorldPay, Stripe, etc)
- Search engine setup (ElasticSearch, Solr, etc.)
- Experience with eCommerce development
- Experience with GameMaker Studio™
- Computer Science/Web Computing/ equivalent degree
A bit about us
YoYo Games joined the Playtech family in 2015. Being based in Dundee, we are thrilled to be at the centre of one of the most beautiful countries in the world, Scotland. The quality of life here is affordable and exciting. We have beautiful cities, vibrant nightlife, skiing, castles, hill walking and beaches all within easy reach of our studio. Dundee has 2 great universities and Abertay is considered one of the top universities to study Games design.
We believe in an open, relaxed and fun environment where creativity and talent thrive and is encouraged every day. From our humble beginnings, we have always ensured that GameMaker was built and developed with usability and efficiency in mind - and that’s no different today. A single code base and a low barrier to entry coupled with a very high skill ceiling mean we accommodate all levels of user, from the hobbyists to the seasoned developers. We then allow all games to run natively across a multitude of platforms including PS4, Xbox One, Android, iOS, OS X, HTML5, Linux, Windows 8, Windows Phone 8 and Windows RT.
This is an opportunity for you to join a fun and supportive team, with an emphasis and enthusiasm for technology.
We offer a competitive salary, training, health insurance, life assurance, child care vouchers, season ticket loans, pension scheme, cycle to work scheme, subsidised gym membership, 25 days annual leave and more.
- MySQL, PostgreSQL
- AWS, Heroku
- Ruby on Rails / MVC frameworks
- Git, Mercurial, Github, Bitbucket
Bank or payment details should not be provided when applying for a job. reed.co.uk is not responsible for any external website content. All applications should be made via the 'Apply now' button.Report this job