Junior/Trainee Setter (Compression Department)
Location: Dorking, Surrey
Salary: £8.45 - 9.45/hr
Job type: Temp - Perm (initial 12 week temporary probationary period)
Our client is one of the leading experts within the different processes of the plastics industry and due to expansion, are seeking to recruit a junior/trainee compression moulding setter and troubleshooter.
Our client, not only supply excellent quality thermosetting and thermoplastic mouldings utilising a variety of machines with capacities up to 250 tons, they also provide tool design, tool manufacturing, printing, assembly, packing and distribution.
As junior/trainee Setter you will be responsible for the preparation, setting and running of jobs in the compression department and supporting staff working within that area. You must have an awareness of the department workload and be able to respond accordingly. You will also need to ensure Health and Safety and Housekeeping’s standards are maintained and adhered to.
Duties will include (initially with support/training)
- Prepare, Set and run jobs in the compression department in line with costed cycle times and quality requirements.
- To be aware of tool change times and provide solutions for improvement of this.
- Complete and update necessary paperwork
- Ensure staff are trained accordingly in all aspects.
- Record training provided to staff.
- Liaise with shop floor manager, tool room staff and despatch dept regarding any problems with running jobs effectively immediately.
- Measure and visually inspect products for surface and dimension defects to ensure conformance to specifications, using precision measuring instruments.
- Perform maintenance work such as cleaning and oiling machines.
- Read specifications, blueprints, and work orders to determine setups, temperatures, and time settings required to mould plastic materials, as well as to plan production sequences.
- Remove parts such as tools from machines after production runs are finished and ensure total clean down of run is completed.
- Inventory and record quantities of materials and finished products, requisitioning additional supplies as necessary.
- Repair or replace damaged moulds, pipes, belts, chains, or other equipment, using hand tools, hand-powered presses, or jib cranes.
- Obtain and move specified tools to work stations using appropriate equipment
- Maintain inventories of materials.
- Ability to work in a team Essential
- Engineering background Essential
- Compression moulding setting experience Desirable - training available
- Ability to understand and deliver quality criteria Desirable
- Understanding of Health & Safety legislation requirements Desirable
- Ability to trouble shoot Essential
- BIT NVQ 2 Desirable
- Lean Manufacturing Experience Desirable