Devereux Chambers has an opening for a dynamic team player, interested in taking the first step towards a career as a Barristers Clerk.
Devereux is a leading set of barristers' chambers offering a wealth of expertise in tax, insurance, employment and personal injury. We are a modern and forward-looking set, known for our friendly workplace culture and professional work ethic. We have a reputation for delivering an outstanding level of service and we welcome applications from like-minded people.
Junior Clerks provide essential support to barristers, clerks and other support staff. The role is busy and varied. Junior clerks spend very little time at their desks - they are constantly on the go, taking papers back and forwards between our two buildings. It is very common for a junior clerk to take papers from one building to other and get back to the their desk, only to be sent straight back to the other building with another set of papers.
On a day to day basis you can expect to be copying/printing/filing papers; assisting barristers to court with their papers (often several boxes), making regular deliveries between our two buildings, providing reception cover or lodging documents at court. Junior Clerks also have responsibility for daily facilities checks and low level facilities tasks.
In addition to being a motivated team player, the successful candidate will have first rate communication skills, an aptitude for managing multiple tasks and priorities to meet deadlines and excellent attention to detail.
Main tasks and responsibilities
- Assisting members to/from court or tribunal with their files.
- Printing, photocopying and scanning documents and preparing trial bundles.
- Managing the post room function including dispatching documents via Royal and DX, franking mail and taking it to the Post Office each day. Recording all outgoing DX items via tracking software.
- Dealing with all incoming deliveries, organising and overseeing courier collections.
- Delivering/collecting documents by hand to/from court and other chambers and transferring boxes, files, mail and any other items between buildings.
- Providing cover for receptionists, assisting with conference room and AV set-up.
- Filling photocopier trays, dealing with basic maintenance issues, placing engineering service calls.
- Basic facilities/maintenance duties (replacing light bulbs, solving furniture problems), checking all public areas daily and reporting maintenance issues to the Chambers Administrator.
- Assisting Practice Managers/Assistant Practice Managers as directed, including updating the LEX diary system and confirming next day listings to barristers.
- Providing administrative assistance to the Chambers Director and Chambers Administrator.
- Maintaining good communications with all staff and providing appropriate support/cover in the event of absence.
This is a physically demanding role, it involves a significant amount of lifting, fetching and carrying and a number of other repetitive and low level tasks. It is an entry level position with a lot of responsibility attached, but for those who are willing to work hard and do the job to a high standard, it is a very useful stepping stone to a career in clerking.
The successful candidate will demonstrate a good understanding of the role and a commitment to a career in chambers, as well as the ability to provide a consistently excellent level of service and an eye for detail, particularly in relation to repetitive tasks.
Please provide a covering letter with your application, explaining your suitability for the position and demonstrating the key skills and attributes referred to above. Previous experience in an admin/support role is welcome, but not essential, as is previous exposure to low level facilities tasks. Applications should be addressed to: JackiMuirhead, Chambers Administrator.
Devereux is an equal opportunities employer and is fully committed to providing equality of opportunity and to eliminating discrimination on grounds of race, colour, ethnic or national origins, gender, marital status, sexual orientation, religion or belief, age and disability.
Devereux is a London Living Wage Employer.
Please note that the interview process will commence before the expiry of the closing date.
- Communication Skills
- Active Team Player
- Highly Detailed
- Meet Deadlines
- Lifting & handling