Job reference number 86264
IT Portfolio Director (Customer Experience & Channels)
Not many companies can say they’ve been around for 500 years and were founded by Henry VIII, but we can. Royal Mail is the UK’s designated Universal Postal Service Provider, supporting customers, businesses and communities around the country. We are the only postal company to provide a one-price-goes-anywhere, six days a week service to more than 29 million addresses across the UK.
It is an exciting time to join Royal Mail. As one of the UK's leading companies, we generated revenue of £9,776m in 2016-17. On top of this, we have recently undertaken an extensive review and transformation of the Technology function, one of the largest IT transformation programmes across the UK. With this transformation now complete, there is significant potential for growth and success.
Digital is now at the heart of our business and drives our vision of enabling smarter working - from Front Line colleagues through to Head Office. At the same time we strive to deliver innovative products and services through a world class customer experience.
To engage with strategic business and technology stakeholders to define technology enabled business transformation in a significant part of the business, whilst ensuring the proposed IS investment portfolio is aligned with business & technology imperatives.
To manage and deliver the resultant portfolio of business and technical change projects, managing interdependencies in support of specific priorities and ensuring expected benefits are realised.
- Establish and maintain positive, productive relationships with key business stakeholders to enable delivery of the agreed Royal Mail Group business priorities.
- Definition, communication and ongoing maintenance of a rolling Strategic Roadmap of changes required for a business area and contribution to strategic and annual investment planning activities.
- Promotion of collaborative working practices across business functions, IT Directorates and suppliers to ensure successful alignment and delivery of the business and IT priorities.
- Shaping and delivery of technology-enabled business transformation, from concept to deployment.
- Ownership of the IT aspects (definition and realisation of costs and benefits) of business cases for a significant area of the business
- Shaping and delivery of agreed Technology initiatives in support of the Technology Strategy and Roadmap.
- Proactive coordination of activities and interdependencies, including management of risks, interfaces and third party contributions,
- Advocacy of agile and efficient ways of working.
- Proactive identification and assessment of complex technical and business ideas, leveraging knowledge of the functional domains to identify benefit opportunities and providing relevant solution options and recommendations.
- Definition of and adherence to governance arrangements including management of internal and external stakeholders.
- Assurance of the overall integrity of the portfolio of projects and programmes. Support peer level assurance reviews.
- Working with the Supplier & Contracts Management team to support the negotiation of commercial contracts, engaging supplier(s) to deliver the business and / or technology objectives for a programme of work, ensuring appropriate balance between price, risk, and operational as well as programme requirements.
- Leadership and development of a high performing Business IT team to ensure high standards of business and functional knowledge that can be applied to deliver a predictable and efficient service to business sponsors.
- Manage appointment of individuals, ensuring efficient allocation of resources and skills within the project portfolio, setting objectives and providing performance feedback
Reports to: Business IT Director – Customer Experience & Channels
Manage c. 4 direct reports and direct team of 15-20 people
Manage capital investment spend of up to £10-15m annually
- Problem Solving – Strategic thinker able to harness business and technical acumen to solve complex problems.
- Change Leadership – Proven change leadership within complex corporate environments of mobilising the business for success around joint business/IT transformation efforts.
- Solution Delivery – IT leader with an impressive track record of delivering results through major technology enabled business change and transformation.
- People Development - An excellent leader, possessing the ability to motivate and inspire people to deliver business results and nurture a culture of continuous improvement.
- Stakeholder Management - Excellent stakeholder management and influencing skills, World class communication skills, and the ability to communicate complex IT concepts and strategies in clear, business focused language.
- Supplier Management – Commercially focussed leader able to leverage benefits of scale and third party supplier relationships to deliver value for money for IT services to the Group.
- Technology Competence – Expertise in enterprise wide IT services, preferably with hands on experience of technical delivery across the full project life-cycle and competences (development, technical architecture, functional design, testing, migration etc.).
- Industry Knowledge – Strong understanding of end to end business models and the value levers to drive results in a range of industries pertinent to the Postal/Logistics sector e.g. Supply Chain, Logistics, and Utilities through experience in FTSE 100/Fortune 500/Blue chip organisations.
- Recent experience of working at Portfolio Director level or similar.
- Recent evidence of driving forward Customer-facing Digital businesses.
- Strong understanding and recent experience of working in the Digital/Web/Mobile space – ideally experience with Consumer Marketing, Consumer Apps, Mobile First and API’s.
- Experience working with B2B, B2C and ideally D2C.
Familiarity with working in an Enterprise Systems landscape with a focus on customer facing/commercial capabilities.
Context for the role:The Customer Experience & Channels IT team enables delivery of solutions to our Sales, Marketing and Customer Experience Business teams across Royal
Bank or payment details should not be provided when applying for a job. reed.co.uk is not responsible for any external website content. All applications should be made via the 'Apply now' button.Report this job