IT Operations Manager
STFC Rutherford Appleton Laboratory, Harwell, Oxforshire
Salary £47,725 - £53,028
The Science and Technology Facilities Council (STFC) is one of Europe’s largest research organisations. We’re trusted to support, enable and undertake pioneering projects in an amazing diversity of fields. Through world-class facilities and people, we’re driving ground-breaking advances in science and technology.
STFC’s Digital Solutions department provides the infrastructure and enterprise services that underpin programme activities.
About The Role
The Digital Solutions department is currently undertaking a transformation programme with the objective of becoming a dynamic and service driven department, adaptable to a changing environment, focused on customers’ needs and capable of becoming a trusted business partner within STFC.
The Digital Solutions core infrastructure consists of the site networks, connectivity to the outside world (and associated security) and fixed-line and mobile telephony. Enterprise services include STFC identity management, email, SharePoint, video conferencing and backup amongst others. In addition, we provide desktop support to several departments, business applications and help and advice to ICT staff across the business.
Responsibilities will include:
- managing and developing a team with multiple skill sets, including setting, controlling and reviewing the direction of work
- leading and managing technical resources, providing assurance that delivery capability and technical solutions are available to meet operational requirements and project demands
- ensuring resource availability for the delivery of day-to-day requirements and agreed projects, including personally providing technical input and guidance on technical issues and approaches that span multiple technologies
- managing significant pieces of work/projects to timescale
- contributing to senior level decisions and policy-making, representing significant areas of business, building commercial interests or negotiating at a significant level
- carrying out individual research, often on pioneering concepts, or sole research and policy creation, with a significant contribution to STFC’s overall capability.
You should be educated to degree level in Science, Computer Science or similar along with ITIL qualifications.
It is essential that you have demonstrable experience in managing and delivering IT services and projects.
You must successfully be able to lead a department through significant cultural change.
It is preferred if you have project management qualifications such as PRINCE2.
An exceptional index linked pension scheme, 30 days leave allowance and flexible working are offered, as well as an onsite nursery, subsidised restaurant, gym and sports facilities. A relocation allowance may also be available where applicable.
Full details of offered benefits can be found on STFC’s careers pages.
Applicants are required to include a cover letter outlining their suitability for this role. Please also state where you saw this role advertised.
Please note, when you click apply you will be directed through to our TopCareers.jobs website where you will be asked to complete the application process.
Closing date: 25th February 2018.