IT Network Engineer
Breakthrough helps governments, communities, businesses, and NGOs succeed. We believe good story-telling and communications can strengthen society and inspire positive social change. We build campaigns and movements that address complex social challenges - including extremism, climate change and conflict resolution. From our offices in the UK and Australia we employ around 200 staff working across research, planning, strategy, design and production.
About the role
We are a team of 5 in IT and we need an experienced IT Network Engineer to assist with ongoing expansion, IT infrastructure upgrades and a variety of other projects in an almost entirely mac-based environment. The company has expanded rapidly over the past five years and currently employs just under 300 people. You will have the opportunity to take ownership of projects and build up new IT networking infrastructure from scratch but you will also be expected to 'muck in’ as part of a small IT/Operations team.
We are looking for someone conscientious, affable, with excellent communication skills and immaculate attention to detail to take responsibility for the IT networking infrastructure in this fast paced and rapidly changing environment.
- Managing and maintaining network infrastructure and suggesting improvements, including:
- Our WAN connections
- Our FortiGate firewalls (we have three across 2 offices)
- Our SonicWall firewall (remotely, as it’s in Sydney)
- Our HP Aruba 2920 switches (plus some legacy NetGear switches)
- Our Dell switches (in Sydney)
- Our corporate and guest WiFi on Ubiquiti and Cisco Meraki
- Our site to site VPN tunnels, and our AWS VPN tunnel
- Planning network upgrades and implementing these projects.
- Acting as 2nd/3rd line support for issues escalated from 1st line.
- Providing technical support remotely to our international offices and assisting in networking these offices.
- Devise innovative solutions to technical problems within a global context.
- Teaching and guiding the rest of the team in networking.
- Design, deliver and manage LANs to optimize reliability and performance.
- Conduct feasibility studies for various upgrade projects, improvements, and other conversions.
- Define hardware and software standards in conjunction with owners and stakeholders.
- Monitor and test network performance and provide statistics and reports.
- Monitor and test server performance and provide statistics and reports; develop strategies for maintaining server infrastructure.
- Practice IT asset management, including maintenance of component inventory and related documentation.
- Participate in the design and implementation of short- and long-term strategic plans to ensure infrastructure capacity meets existing and future requirements.
- Conduct research and make recommendations on products, services, protocols, and standards in support of all infrastructure procurement and development efforts.
- Undertake planning and deployment of infrastructure security measures.
· Detailed knowledge of current network protocols and standards including SMB and AFP
· In depth understanding of routing protocols, router and switch configurations
· Scripting and command line knowledge
· Familiarity with dual WAN environments
· Good understanding of Change Management procedures
· Experience managing and delivering infrastructure design and operational excellence.
· Network design and documentation
· Remote management of networks
· Remote monitoring and management toolsets
· Network design
· Project Management skills
· IT Security best practice
· Windows Server 2012 R2 / Windows Server 2016
· Mac OSX
· HP Business desktops and laptops
· HP Aruba switches
· NetGear switches
· Dell switches
· Ubiquiti wireless
· Cisco Meraki wireless
· MS Enterprise licensing
· Sophos Central
· HP servers
Lastly, we’re committed to hiring a diverse workforce from different professional and cultural backgrounds, and to that end we encourage a variety of people to our company to represent the diverse range of subjects associated with our projects.
Bank or payment details should not be provided when applying for a job. reed.co.uk is not responsible for any external website content. All applications should be made via the 'Apply now' button.Report this job
"Office Assistant jobs in London"