IT Hardware Technician
UKRI - STFC
Rutherford Appleton Laboratory, Didcot
The Science & Technology Facilities Council is a partner organisation within UK Research and Innovation (UKRI). UKRI is a new entitythat brings together nine partnersto create an independent organisation with a strong voice for research and innovation, and a vision to ensure the UK maintains its world-leading position in research and innovation.
The Scientific Computing Department (SCD) provides world class leading edge compute and data storage infrastructure to support the work of world class science both within UKRI-STFC, the UK and internationally.
The Research Infrastructure (RI) group (within SCD) defines, develops and manages the underpinning scientific computing infrastructure used to provide an extensive range of national and international science projects including the GridPP Tier1 service, the JASMIN super data cluster, STFC’s central HPC cluster as well as computing support for STFC facilities such as the ISIS Neutron Facility, the Central Laser Facility plus the Diamond Light Source.
The current infrastructure includes 30,000+ CPU cores, 60PB+ online data storage, near line tape storage, complex virtualisation and cloud installations all underpinned by high performance networking.
The RI group currently has a vacancy for an IT Hardware Technician to join the team that manages the extensive computing infrastructure that supports the large science projects within SCD.
The post is based at the STFC Rutherford Appleton Laboratory in Oxfordshire.
List of Duties/Work Program/Responsibilities:
- part of the team responsible for installing, maintaining and supporting the scientific computing resources managed by the RI group
- specific responsibilities for monitoring and maintaining the hardware systems including diagnosing problems and changing faulty hardware components
- arrange for supplier engineer visits and maintaining records of replacements and changes
- participate in the installation of new hardware and decommissioning hardware no longer required
- liaison with other department teams over operational issues
- ensuring services run by the RI group run smoothly and meet their operational commitments
- part of an oncall team providing out of hours support.
Technical Skills Required:
- good knowledge of Computer Hardware, its specification, performance and fault handling
- experience of working in IT support roles preferably in an environment delivering high levels of availability
- working knowledge of desktop computer systems and the use of office productivity tools.
Any additional skills in the following would be a benefit:
- installing, configuring and supporting Windows and/or Linux operating systems
- Ethernet networking.
You will have a minimum of an HNC in a relavant subject or equivalent.
You will have knowledge of computer hardware technologies and diagnosing computer hardware faults.
You will also have excellent written English communication skills as demonstrated by the quality of the CV and application covering letter.
Experience of working in IT Support roles and liasing with IT suppliers and support centre engineers will be desirable.
What we offer
In addition to the competitive salary STFC offers a benefits package designed to provide an excellent work/life balance including 30 days’ annual leave, flexible working hours, a workplace nursery, exceptional pension scheme, social and sporting activities and societies, a subsidised restaurant and good public transport links. A relocation allowance may also be available where applicable
How to Apply
Applicants are required to include a cover letter outlining their suitability for this role.
Please note, when you click apply you will be directed through to our TopCareers.jobs website where you will be asked to complete the application process
The closing date for applications is 4th Novemeber 2018.
- Computer Hardware
Bank or payment details should not be provided when applying for a job. reed.co.uk is not responsible for any external website content. All applications should be made via the 'Apply now' button.Report this job
"Office Assistant jobs in London"
'Saved search name'