IP Engineer Voice Services
Location: Glasgow OR Manchester
Salary: Excellent DOE
Hours: 37.5 hours per week, normal business hours
Employment Status: Permanent, Full Time
We are looking for candidates who have a strong technical background to work within the Product Engineering Functional Area.
An IP Engineer within the Voice Services Delivery Team is required to provide IP design and consultancy services to various stakeholders across the business and to support the delivery of a wide range of voice projects. These services will predominantly focus on providing the underlying IP connectivity required to deliver a wide range of voice services.
We are seeking a highly motivated individual who enjoys engaging with all types of people and stakeholders across the business as this role will require collaboration with various teams. You will be expected to define solutions, document the design solution proposals, test and validate design solutions, and then actively engage in the handover for implementation on a live network.
You will need a good sense of humour and you must demonstrate a positive 'can do’ attitude to contribute and work with our energetic and motivational operational, development and engineering teams. It is vital that we get the right person for this role - we can offer you variety, challenge, responsibility and an opportunity to shape not only your future career but to also contribute and work with our Gamma engineering teams to deliver future network and voice capability.
Duties / Objectives:
•Provide technical expertise in the configuration and testing of IP network elements and network infrastructure to support the delivery of voice services.
• Assist with the development of IP testing methodologies and strategies to support voice services.
• Assist with the development of IP network management tools and capabilities
• Assist with the operational handover of IP design solutions
• Provide IP solution training, documentation and support
• Attend internal/supplier/customer meetings and represent the voice service delivery department at all levels
General Skills Required:
• Good communication and reporting skills
• Ability and willingness to communicate with different stakeholders at all levels
• Ability to self-manage and self-motivate
• Flexible approach to work and ability to work under pressure
• Technical authoring and documentation skills
• Strong team player but with ability to work independently where needed
• Ability and willingness to provide technical guidance and review technical documentation
Technical Skills Required:
• Good technical knowledge and understanding of network technology
• Vendor-specific experience in Cisco and Juniper platforms backed with relevant certifications
• Understanding and experience of implementing solutions utilising BGP within MPLS VPN networks
• Knowledge of provider network infrastructure and design principles
• Hands-on experience of IP network design, implementation and troubleshooting
• Knowledge of network security principles and guidelines for the delivery of voice services
• Detailed understanding of all aspects of QoS (Traffic Shaping, Policing, Scheduling, Congestion Management and Avoidance). Specific experience of deploying QoS in a voice and/or converged environment would be advantageous
• Masters in Telecommunications or similar subject (preferred).
• The successful candidate is expected to have hands-on experience of building and using IP networking equipment from some of the main networking vendors.
• The successful candidate is expected to have experience of producing good quality technical design documents.