An exciting opportunity has arisen to join a world leading global organisation. Our client, a blue chip IT company, is currently seeking an Infrastructure Support Specialist based at their Data Centre in Reading. This is a full-time, permanent role, Monday to Friday, 9am - 5.15pm, to start ASAP. The role is paying between £24,000 and £28,300 per annum, pro rata, depending on experience.
Site-based resource providing network and infrastructure support at the company's Data Centre premises. This role will be providing support to a key EMEA environment. There is an initial requirement to be based at the company's site in Milton Keynes (Wavendon) for training and role orientation but other options may be viable if this is not possible for you.
The tasks will include, but not be limited to:
* Installation, configuration and management of VMware ESX
* Installation, build, configuration and management of Windows server
* Perform visual inspection of equipment upon request to provide teams with information regarding cabling, port availability, and network connections.
* Document cable connections and server backplane connections as requested.
* Maintain asset/configuration management information, properly update systems and maintain high standards in data quality and asset reporting.
* Update network documentation including network diagrams.
* Perform cable inventory as requested.
* Have working knowledge of data centre environments and infrastructure, network and telecommunications protocols and platforms, operations support methods.
* Work with a global support team supporting multiple lab facilities and data centre activities.
* Provide remote configuration/troubleshooting support.
* Process change requests in layer-2/layer-3 network infrastructure to deliver connectivity, access and security to project teams.
* Provision access and distribution switches as required by project teams and customers.
* Define/configure VLANs, trunks, port channels and access points.
* A minimum of BPSS security clearance
* Windows server build / configuration
* VMware ESX Installation / configuration and management (experience with VMware View would be desirable)
* Sound knowledge of business systems and process flow.
* Basic understanding of IT operations in a corporate organisation.
* Strong appreciation of data and data centre facility security.
* Fluent in English (speaking, reading and writing)
* Ability to work precisely and quality-oriented.
* High level of reliability and sense of responsibility.
* Flexible and willing to cope with unexpected problems and situations.
* Competent and professional communication skills.
* Good commercial awareness.
* Capacity to understand, clarify and manage customer expectations.
* Basic understanding of server hardware (e.g., console, devices)
* Ability to handle various types of media, devices and libraries.
* Proficiency in Microsoft Windows and Office environments and general PC hardware.
* Basic understanding of networking.
* Ability to look for opportunities to improve existing processes and workflow designs.
* Experience in Linux server build and configuration.
* Experience of Network and Firewall installation and management.
* Experience of working in a site-based (residential) service role.
* Preferably post-school education in a numerate subject.
* Trained and certified to Category 5 / Category 6 cabling standards.
* Experience of UTP and fibre optic cabling installation, testing, and fault-finding.