Infrastructure Operations Engineer, shipping, cruising
£32k Plus Benefits
Infrastructure operations engineer is required by a shipping organisation based in Southampton. This role will see you working closely with both the shipping engineering teams and the company's wider IT function to deliver world class service for all aspects of support and maintenance of the hardware and software of IT systems for the business.
You will have a broad technical capability as well as proven experience supporting systems onboard cruise ships and those used within the cruise industry. The role also has an expectation for local and international travel as and when needed.
- To provide first and second lines of IT support to the business user community. To solve problems where feasible and/or own the problem resolution (liaising with other agencies as appropriate) until solution, ensuring that the business users are regularly informed of progress.
- To be a conduit for issues arising in the business requiring resolution within IT. To recognise these issues and escalate appropriately, according to procedures, to both IT and other areas of the business.
- To liaise with internal and external bodies, including user groups, business supervisor, Technical Consultants, Strategic Planning, Project Managers and IT consultants.
- To monitor systems and proactively recognise and raise issues to the business and to IT where required.
- To communicate IT support issues effectively to the business by translation of technical jargon into layman's terms.
- To monitor machine performance and to recognise and raise issues with the business, Services, Holidays and Group IT as appropriate.
- To administer the system maintenance procedures; raise, take ownership and update change requests / faults and communicate their progress to both internal and external customers.
- To monitor desktop system usage / performance and to recognise and raise issues with the businesses and Group IT as appropriate.
- To provide, if necessary when working on remote sites, including onboard, first line support on local data network, telephony equipment and servers, patching of data and telephony networks, installation of telephones onto desks and the back-up of local servers.
- Assist in the operation of new systems, agreeing sign off and taking on support roles as necessary, following proper training.
- To work within any SLA's agreed with management and various areas of the business.
- To be willing to travel between various business sites in order to carry out the day-to-day functions of Desktop Support and to be available for overtime as and when this is required.
- To also take part in the Team's On Call Rota, enabling the Company to provide 24/7 support.
- To undertake any other activity, which is required by their line manager.
- Good written & verbal skills
- Good analytical skills, able to use data to determine cause of incidents, and able to act on this data to resolve incidents
- Good customer service skills. Able to maintain a good rapport with customers, ensuring timely updates around incident diagnosis or project activities
- Flexible approach, able to react to changing situations
- Able to work with other IT teams effectively
- Must have good experience working in an infrastructure related role within a corporate environment
- Basic level of awareness of the ITIL service management processes including incident, problem and change management
- Industry recognised, associate level qualification (e.g. MCP, VCP, RHCSA) or equivalent
For a full consultation on this highly interesting role send your CV to Rebecca Collings.
Bank or payment details should not be provided when applying for a job. reed.co.uk is not responsible for any external website content. All applications should be made via the 'Apply now' button.Report this job