Infrastructure Engineer // IT Integration // Insurance // Suffolk // Global travel
The role of the Infrastructure Engineer is to utilize and assist in the enhancement of IT global infrastructure standards to deliver Infrastructure and Data/Application integration. The Engineer will work with Application Architects/specialists and Technical Specialists to ensure standards and solutions fit with existing strategies.
The role of the Infrastructure Engineer will be driven by Country Data/Application and Legal requirements to allow the individual to deliver on all aspects of the infrastructure and to be a focal point for IT Integration related initiatives and for working with IT leaders as well as Compliance and Audit functions. The Infrastructure Engineer will primarily look at the IT Integration for Africa and as such will be required to travel to the region on a regular basis.
- Take the lead for specific project team for the Integration activities
- Reporting to the lead technical / solutions architect and working with the Head of the Infrastructure Architecture and IT Security Infrastructure Architect, the Infrastructure Engineer will help implement our IT Infrastructure strategy
- Work on major IT Integration projects, operational deliveries and infrastructure initiatives, proposing solutions and options that are in-line with the Group's standards/strategy and document the architectural implications, costs, risks and issues.
- Develop a detailed understanding of integration requirements, policies and business goals ensuring these are translated into solutions that meet the needs of the business, provide appropriate levels of control and are operationally aligned to deliver a maximum return on investment.
- Develop documentation/presentations such as infrastructure architectures, network topologies, roadmaps etc that can be used to communicate strategies and architectures to all levels of IT and business.
- Provide input and technical guidance across all IT infrastructure delivering oversight and/or validation of technologies and architectures, acting as technical design authority on projects.
- Ensure that infrastructure and applicative solutions are aligned to the operational and strategic needs for each country and comply with appropriate Data Sovereignty and Protection Laws
- Develop business cases for projects and IT initiatives. Forecast IT infrastructure costs, developing detailed cost models containing views of capital expenditure, cash flow and impact on P&L.
- Work with IT Operational leaders to understand operational demands and constraints. Ensure architectural/security solutions and designs are compatible with existing support models and operational processes identifying any gaps.
- Travel as required to countries where the infrastructure is being deployed to assist in the configurations of the equipment and ensure the smooth rollout to the end-users.
- The countries within scope are within Africa and travel to some of those countries will be required.
While being Infrastructure/Insurance focused, candidates must have a broad range of experience including many of the following:
- Experience of implementing and managing infrastructure operations in a large global environment.
- Experience in application migration to a new hosting environment
- Experience in communicating infrastructure concepts and principles to a varied audience. Building consensus with IT Management, operations leaders, peers and across the Group IT community.
- Application architectures and application security techniques including authentication & authorization models, secure coding practices and penetration testing principles.
- Worked as part of an Enterprise architecture function in a large multi-country distributed organization.
- Large scale transformation programmes
- The design and implementation of Data Centres, large computer rooms or hosting facilities
- Development and/or review of enterprise infrastructure documents and deliverables
- Technical References Models
- Technology standards
- Proposals and Business Cases
- Position and/or white papers
- Technical Knowledge
A broad range of strong technical knowledge is required:
- Knowledge of Microsoft System Services and Solutions - Windows, Active Directory, System Centre, SQL Server, IIS etc.
- . Data Centre infrastructure (M&E) and environmental protection techniques/technologies
- Cisco Certification, Networking - LAN & WAN design principles, Network Architectures, Network optimization and key network technologies
- Storage - SAN, NAS, Tape, Backup and Archive systems
- Platforms - Windows servers, Microsoft clustering, load balancing and provision of high availability systems
- . Application architectures - databases, web servers, middleware. Application security and secure coding concepts.
- Application/Infrastructure virtualization - Citrix, VMware, VDI
- Knowledge in a diverse range of security concepts and technologies including Network and perimeter security, firewalls, IDS/IPS, Web Application firewalls, vulnerability scanners, log analysis (SIEM), Operating system security, Federated Identity Management, Cloud security.
- Experience within Software Development with a working knowledge or Testing and Release processes