Location: Cambridge, UK
MedImmune is the worldwide biologics research and development arm of AstraZeneca. We’re constantly pushing the boundaries of science to deliver life-changing medicines to patients, with a passion for discovery and a pipeline to show for it. Here, you’ll have the opportunity to make a difference in people’s lives every day.
Combining biology and computer science, Research Bioinformatics works across Research and beyond to understand biology, discover new therapeutics and develop new technologies. As an Informatics Scientist within Research Bioinformatics based at our Cambridge, UK site you will be responsible for developing software for both one-time analysis and robust, widely used scientific tools.
If you’re inspired by the possibilities of science to make a difference and ready to discover what you can do – join us.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
As an Informatics Scientist you will be responsible for:
- Modelling data & processes and architect systems to ensure, by design, any systems built are fit for purpose, usable, maintainable and manageable.
- Using scientific knowledge and computational knowledge to deliver new insights on existing data.
- Mastering new technology and scientific thinking and applying it to deliver results.
- Degree level science based education essential.
- Hands on experience with research and handling & analysis of scientific datasets a distinct advantage.
- Experience in creating high quality software, working across the full life cycle, from requirements to roll-out and beyond.
- Experience in developing highly usable front-ends and in developing manageable, robust and performance server-side systems.
- Experience in designing and querying databases, data modelling and integration.
- Experience in test driven development and the use of version control, build automation, continuous integration and issue tracking tools.
- Ability to create new data analysis or algorithms as part of a pipeline.
- Ability to lead new development projects and coordinate with other team members and key stakeholders.
- Postgraduate education in science, bioinformatics/system biology or computer science
- Experience working in the pharma/biotech industry or in biological academic research
- Java programming experience
- Track record of innovative research
Next Steps – Apply today!
To be considered for this exciting opportunity, please complete the full application on our website at your earliest convenience – it is the only way that our Recruiter and Hiring Manager can know that you feel well qualified for this opportunity. If you know someone who would be a great fit, please share this posting with them.
MedImmune is an equal opportunity employer. MedImmune will consider all qualified applicants for employment without discrimination on grounds of disability, sex or sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity leave status, race or national or ethnic origin, age, religion or belief, gender identity or re-assignment, marital or civil partnership status, protected veteran status (if applicable) or any other characteristic protected by law.
Opening date: 1st February 2018
Closing date: 3rd March 2018