Acorn is currently looking for an experienced Industrial Lab Technician to join our client (Tata Steel) in Port Talbot.
Initially a 2 month project.
Purpose of the role:
To carry out routine and non-routine chemical analysis of raw materials, iron, steel, water and miscellaneous material produced in the works, and calibrate all analytical equipment as required.
- Carry out chemical analysis on a wide range of materials including ferrous and non-ferrous metals, oxide materials, refractories, iron ore, sinters, waters and effluents, steel coatings, coals, cokes, by-products and pollution samples.
- Carry out a wide range of techniques including weighing, combustion, dissolution, fusion titration, photometry and coulometry etc.
- Use a range of instrumental techniques e.g. optical emission, XRF, combustion analysers, AA, ICP, pH and conductivity meters, GC etc.
- Ensure that sample identity is correct and maintained throughout the testing process, ensuring all samples are properly tested / analysed for all necessary parameters.
- Run monitor samples to ensure that the instruments are in compliance, deciding on the necessary corrective action e.g. drift correction.
- Prepare reagents and standard solutions for a variety of standard methods.
- Participate in MSA studies to minimise reproducibility errors in sample prep and testing.
- Prepare various reports e.g. instrument logs, failure reports and especially analysis reports.
- Responsible for the reviewing of risk assessments, safe working procedures, work instructions and quality assurance procedures and adhering to those procedures.
- Carry out training of Chemists and Apprentices.
- Carry out faultfinding and initiate repairs.
- Involvement in continuous improvement activities with the support of CI coaches where required.
Skills and knowledge:
- Good knowledge of the main processes of an integrated steel plant and how they can impact on metallurgical / chemical performance would be desirable.
- A high level of skill is required in a wide range of techniques and equipment.
- Sound knowledge of the theory of chemistry is essential.
Qualifications and experience:
- HNC (or equivalent) in Chemistry discipline, or 5 years' experience in a chemistry laboratory is an advantage.
- Lab Technician
Bank or payment details should not be provided when applying for a job. reed.co.uk is not responsible for any external website content. All applications should be made via the 'Apply now' button.Report this job
"Office Assistant jobs in London"