Indirect Tax Manager
London - City
Salary: c. £55,000 - £62,000 + Benefits
The successful Tax Group at the City Office of this Global Firm is made up of a number of specialists who possess excellent working knowledge in their respective specialisms.
The Group provides Indirect Tax, Personal Tax and Corporate Tax Compliance and Consultancy Services and are reputed for their professionalism.
In order to be considered for this role you will need to be confident and ambitious with proven and practical knowledge of VAT.
Duties and Responsibilities: -
The successful candidate will be a key member of the Department with responsibility for assisting the Indirect Tax Director and Partner with all Indirect Tax matters and overseeing several employees within the Team.
The successful applicant will also be responsible for managing their own client portfolio across a number of sectors.
The further development of this firm’s indirect tax business and maintaining current client relationships will also be a key element of this role.
Experience of reviewing work with minimal supervision will be essential.
The ability to offer advice on UK and international VAT liability, transactional issues and the associated treatment of expenditure under partial exemption rules is required.
It is envisaged that there will be very little compliance work needed to fulfil this role as the majority of VAT returns are completed by another team. The Indirect Tax Team would be required to deal with the more complex returns.
Another very important aspect of the role will be business development of existing and new clients in addition to the development of a specialist field in sector/technical expertise and knowledge.
Experience of managing a team in terms of appraisals and people management etc is important.
There may also be the requirement on occasion to deal with the following: -
Proposals & Tenders
Dealing with VAT Queries
Assisting with the Development of Marketing Strategies
The opportunity to organise client seminars and run internal training courses involving other colleagues
The opportunities with this firm are exceptional as this department and the Accountancy Practice continues to expand therefore offering plenty of scope for career progression. This is monitored carefully via their annual appraisal process.
It is essential that you have the following skills and experience: -
- Proven VAT work gained by working for an Accountancy Practice
- CTA is preferred but not essential - you would be expected to complete CTA studies which would be fully funded and supported.
- A good understanding of VAT principles
- The ability to explain complex issues
- Current, up-to-date and detailed working knowledge of VAT issues
- The ability to manage a substantial client portfolio
- A commercial and practical approach to problem solving
- Excellent client relationship skills
- Good written and oral communication skills
- Possess commerciality; good people management skills; ability to take responsibility and complete work to a high level of accuracy whilst prioritising at times, a challenging workload.
- It is also essential that you are able to identify new business opportunities.
- Good systems literacy - most notably Word and Excel