- Providing a valuable support for Fee Earners across the department handling cases.
- Performing clerical tasks as well as legal research.
- Maintaining case files and drafts legal documents and supports the building of up to date legal precedent bank.
- Ability to run and handle own case transactions with supervision, areas of law and specialism will be focused on Commercial Property and Commercial and Business Practice.
- There are development opportunities to expand into areas such as Trusts and Equity, Employment, Intellectual Property and Information Technology.
- Performing research on applicable regulations and laws as required.
- Collecting and organising file papers and any other necessary documents in respect of individual instructions and case files for qualified individual lawyers to review
- Keeping client files organised and up to date in paper and/or electronic format
- Conducting conflict checks, AML checks and file opening procedures.
- Raising commercial searches such as Property searches (Local, Water and Drainages, Environmental, Chancel), HM Land Registry Searches, IP registry, Trademarks.
- Conducting completion of HM Land Registration applications and submissions alongside dealing with any requisitions on title.
- Obtaining copies of planning documentation.
- Obtaining indemnity policy quotations and arrange for the policy to be put in place as needed if required. Understanding and awareness of compliance with SRA and FCA regulations in this area.
- Drafting formal legal documents, such as contracts and pleadings, as well as correspondence with clients and other parties as directed by supervising Solicitor or Lawyer.
- Contacting clients to investigate the case and keep them apprised of the case's status.
- Processing of clients instructions and any related task activity accurately and to the service standards set by the Company, at all times maintaining confidentiality and demonstrating discretion.
- Building good relationships with clients and business introducers.
- Answering incoming calls politely, professionally and efficiently using the Company’s telephone system, re-direct calls as appropriate and take detailed messages when required.
- Ensuring that client deadlines, all internally agreed key performance indicators, service standards and regulatory reporting requirements are met.
- Fulfilling any other reasonable requirement of the department.
- Proactively identifies risk within the department and escalates concerns to Manager.
- Educated to minimum of all or any of the following:
- NALP Paralegal practice award, certificate, diploma and/or
- Postgraduate paralegal diploma and/or
- a Law Degree and/or
- An award in legal studies and/or
- Legal secretary certificate or diploma
- Minimum 2 years of legal experience ideal, whether in house or in private practice.
Skills and Experience
- Ability to manage multiple tasks, challenging caseloads in a fast paced environment
- Demonstrates superior research skills and the desire to develop understanding of the law
- Ability to work well under pressure and to tight deadlines
- Flexibility and adaptability in your attitude and approach to work
- Business acumen and an understanding of the clients' needs
- Professionalism when working with colleagues, senior partners, experts and clients
- Legal database certifications such as LexisNexis or Westlaw are very useful but can otherwise demonstrate superior research skills.
- Excellent editing, verbal and written communication skills.
- MS Word knowledge, essential, good working knowledge of Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook.
- Confident telephone manner.
- Sound knowledge of the law and English legal system.
- Strong organisational skills, familiar with electronic document management and filing systems.
- High Level of discretion with confidential matters. Ability to exercises effective judgements, sensitivity, creativity to changing needs and situations.
- Detail oriented computer and literacy skills.
- Adaptable, professional, courteous, motivated and work well on their own or as a member of the Team
Bank or payment details should not be provided when applying for a job. reed.co.uk is not responsible for any external website content. All applications should be made via the 'Apply now' button.Report this job
"Office Assistant jobs in London"
'Saved search name'