In House Lawyer Belfast, Leading Transport Company
Your new company
A leading Public Sector Transport Body is recruiting for a capable Lawyer to join their team in Central Belfast on a 9 month Fixed Term Contract in what is a broad and diverse position
Your new role
In your new role you will support the General Counsel in the provision of high quality internal and external legal services across all parts of the business, with particular emphasis on;
(i) Commercial legal matters, (ii) Property/holding company matters and (iii) Court enforcements/prosecution's caseload.
You will be accountable primarily to the post of General Counsel & Company Secretary and will have a general accountability as a team member in the new Compliance division of the business (will take direct day to day instruction from the General Counsel)
- Particular responsibilities for commercial legal agreements with suppliers and stakeholders, prosecutions strategy, enforcement recommendations, court performance and results.
- Provide legal services for property, assets and estates (including intangible property rights), and services required to support the compliant and cost-effective delivery of the estates function - holding an ongoing objective to reduce external legal service dependency and increase internal knowledge, skill and efficiency (especially when dealing with routine or repeat legal issues).
- From time to time deputise for General Counsel and be capable and confident enough to engage at a high level with complex, corporate legal and governance issues for the Board, CEO and the Executive team directly (occasionally at Executive Committee meetings, project meetings or possibly at the Board).
- Will manage the external legal panel more generally, and provide administrative support to billing and commissioning of work. The post holder will help to ensure the smooth, properly governed commissioning and delivery of legal service and onward communication or interpretation of technical and often sensitive advice. Good Relationships with internal and external parties will be essential.
- Outside of the principal accountabilities the post holder will also draft Group policy documents, advise
on company secretariat matters, data protection and information law, drafting and interpreting
commercial agreements, familiarity with procurement matters, major development projects, corporate
governance, and being familiar with regulatory law and related EU requirements e.g. public service
agreements, the MSFM with government, EU transport packages and their implications for Translink
and NI Transport industry.
What you'll need to succeed
- You will be a Qualified Solicitor or Barrister with a minimum of 2 years post qualification experience.
- You will have experience of working in either a multi-faceted business/organisation or a fast paced/demanding legal environment
Possess experience in at least two of the following three areas:
1. Regulation or enforcement work such as prosecutions
2. Law relating to commercial property/developments/estates matters (not solely domestic conveyancing)
3. General commercial agreements or law relevant to business organisations.
- Ability to complete tasks to a high standard and in a timely manner.
- Ability to prioritise workload effectively
- Ability to deliver difficult messages succinctly and ability to navigate conflicting views (often from more senior colleagues) with diplomacy, calmness and wisdom
What you'll get in return
A very competitive market salary is on offer for you here, a 37 working hour week, 25 plus 9 stats, payable from week 12, plus the opportunity to gain In House experience within a leading company
What you need to do now
If you're interested in this role, click 'apply now' to forward an up-to-date copy of your CV. If you would like more detail on this job or if you are looking for a new legal opportunity in either Belfast, Dublin or a specific national location, we have a strategic office network spanning the UK and Ireland and a team of specialist legal recruitment consultants that can assist. Please contact Patrick McDonald today for a confidential discussion on your legal career.