Position: Import Clerk (Temporary Ongoing)
Duration: Three months maybe longer
Skills: Imports, Logistics, Shipping, strong Excel skills, excellent analysis skills, customs, L/C's, tariff codes
Location:- Central London
Reporting to the International Operations Manager, the successful candidate will be responsible for the operational management of Direct Imports from worldwide Origins. The candidate will need to demonstrate strong commercial and communication skills.
- Maintenance and up-keep of information on freight rates and forwarding agents held on departmental database.
- Dealing with queries from Buying and Merchandising teams regarding shipping costs to provide the most accurate estimate.
- Answering queries on timings of stock coming into the UK on a direct import basis from all origins together with queries on methods of shipment applicable.
- Dealing with the Insurance company to lodge and monitor progress of claims through to settlement.
- Liaising with finance and the buying teams where internal adjustments are required.
- Liaising with DC's and processors over delivery issues & following up with nominated freight forwarders.
- Dealing with queries from Freight Forwarders both internationally and in the UK regarding the shipment of imported goods.
- Dealing with queries from Suppliers regarding freight forwarders and origin procedures.
- Checking the accuracy of information received and resolving queries in a timely way by communicating with B&M and Freight Forwarders in order to prevent delays to stock being delivered to the Distribution Centres.
- Checking weekly KPIs provided by freight forwarders.
- Checking weekly airfreight details.
- Liaising with US DCs and Clearing Agent on any stock issues.
- Working closely with Systems to ensure timely and correct receipt of goods.
- Provide European and USA delivery schedules to accommodate Bank holidays
- Familiarisation with classifying goods using the Customs Homogenised Tariff system
- Awareness of Duty management- Import Document processes / requirements
- Experience with Customs clearance formalities
- Accuracy and attention to detail
- Good communication skills - verbal and written
- Ability to work under pressure and to deadlines
- Intermediate level experience of Word, Excel and Lotus Notes packages
- Immediately available
We would be grateful if you could send your CV as a Word document. If your application is successful, you will be contacted within 7 days. We regret that due to the high volume of applications we receive we cannot provide feedback on individual CVs. Please note that we can only consider candidates who are eligible to work in the UK and are able to provide relevant supporting documentation.