Hybrid Development Engineer
Purpose of the Role:
To plan and execute test items on McLaren Automotive Future Hybrid Projects
Supporting holistic hybrid systems development from concept to series-development for all components within Hybrid or Electric Drive Systems. Ensuring they fulfil all the programme requirements for performance / function / attributes through test and validation procedures.
It is expected that the engineer will be able to support both hardware (especially related to the High Voltage Battery and eMotors) and software aspects of the Hybrid System.
- Support of Development of Hybrid components within a vehicle and/or a rig
- Support prototype and production software development (in-house or at suppliers) when required
Engineering team member within development programme activities with ability to manage test facilities and vehicle specification. Regular travel and out of hours’ activity required in support of development DVP and attributes sign-off
- To take full responsibility for specifying, preparing, monitoring, analysing and reporting of activities related to the build, test, development and validation of vehicle development and attribute systems
- To work closely with the Development and Prototype build teams to ensure Mechanical and Electrical integration of electric drive components in a rig and/or vehicle environments (to aid functional and system development) are built to the required standard
- Developing and resolving issues on hybrid systems delivered to production programs in vehicle applications and/or on development rigs
- Supporting Durability testing requirements at vehicles and rigs
- Be the first point of contact for all hybrid development activities
- To represent the Vehicle Development group at technical meetings as required
- To prepare short-term plans and budgets for Development activities
- Support calibration of HCS components to meet vehicle/program attribute targets
- Support the Implementation of HCS embedded systems such as Battery Management Systems (BMS), Motor Control Unit (MCU), Hybrid Supervisory Unit (HSU), Grid Charging Control/Manage, DC/DC, communication protocols, software, control architectures, diagnostics, functional safety, etc.
- Provide support on HCS technical risk management to ensure project delivery, optimised vehicle performance and delivery of hybrid system attributes.
- Fully aware of HV Safety principles and deliver safety requirements through example
- To follow the McLaren Development Process (MDP) ensuring that all activity is correctly documented and appropriate standards and processes are followed.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience:
- Mechanical, Electrical/Electronic or Automotive Engineering Degree 2:1 or above
- Can apply detailed technical knowledge to the understanding of new technologies, development of engineering designs and resolution of engineering problems
- A good level of technical knowledge & experience of HCS design, test & production delivery
- A good understanding of HV batteries, HV safety, Power Electronics, eMotors, charging standards, world-wide legislation and regulation on hybrid components and systems.
- Good understanding of Control Systems, ISO 26262 standards
- Experience of executing DVPs, FMEA
- Design / implementation experience of vehicle embedded systems, notably:
- Communication protocols (CAN, LIN etc.)
- Diagnostics implementation and validation
- Software architecture, ideally including use of the VECTOR tool chain.
- Vehicle data logging, calibration and data analysis using INCA, Vector CANAPE or similar.
- Vehicle powertrain and/or power-electrical simulations, particularly driveline, emissions and performance-analysis simulations (ideally in Matlab / Simulink)
- Design / implementation high or low voltage electrical distribution systems within the HCS.
- Familar with tools from software, to rig and/or in-vehicle testing, calibrating, diagnosing, logging and data analysing.
- PC literate and at ease with MS Office products.
- Able to work well alongside a team of prototype technicians, providing leadership and guidance where needed
- Must demonstrate a high-level initiative and flexibility, and determination to see a task through to completion
- Good team skills, willingness to work cross-functionally with excellent communication skills.
- Good systems design and development knowledge
- An ability to deliver under pressure with an appetite for measured success.
- A passion for high performance Hybrid/Electric Drive engineering.
- Collaborative working with ESS (Energy Storage Systems), HES (Hybrid Electrical Systems) teams to deliver world class Hybrid Control Systems
- A positive, proactive attitude with a high level of self-motivation to deliver excellence.
- Ambitious and self-reliant - intrinsically self-motivated.
- Should be well-organised and methodical, with excellent attention to detail
- Demonstrable record of accomplishment for on-time delivery.
- Calm under pressure
- Must be prepared to adopt a flexible approach to working hours to ensure development activities are carried out as and when required
- Capable of representing a world class automotive brand