Human Factors Lead Engineer
Salary dependant on experience
Engineering / Defence / Aerospace / Military
South Wales, UK
Purpose of Position My Client is looking to recruit a Principal Human Factors Engineer to act as Human Factors Capability Lead on the Evolve to Open (EvO) Programme. The successful candidate will be a key player within the EvO team, responsible for ensuring GDUK deliver an optimally designed solution with respect to all aspects for Human Factors within an AGILE Engineering Development Framework. The role will place significant demands on their Human Factors knowledge, leadership skills and experience. The role will require close liaison and co-operation with system engineering and integration subject matter experts along with platform & domain expertise residing in wider Mission systems businesses. The candidate must be a team player, able to work to tight deadlines and be capable of leading from the front and working with a multi-national engineering team whilst also working very closely with the customer community. The individual will be required to work across geographical and cultural divides to draw together a comprehensive engineering capability that will derive a balanced system solution.
* Leadership of the Human Factors Integration and Human Factors Engineering activities across the EvO programme within an AGILE Framework.
* Delivery of an optimal HF solution for EvO through:
* Developing and maintaining HF integration plans.
* Developing and maintaining HF schedule planning, monitoring and reporting.
* Managing the HF risk and opportunities.
* Manages development, apportionment and dissemination of Human Factors requirements.
* Reviews HF elements of all system and subsystem documentation.
* Plans and runs HF design reviews.
* Plans and executes HF assessments (ergonomic analysis, HCI and Usability assessments).
* Generating progressive assurance documentation.
* Liaising with the Customer and managing User involvement through the Human Centred Design Process.
* Collating the body of evidence to justify the acceptability of the design from a Human Factors perspective.
* Managing all the traditional Human Factors processes and techniques and adapting them to work in an AGILE manner in line with the rest of the Engineering Programme in both Systems and product Engineering.
Education/ExperienceRequired Skills & Abilities
* Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
* Excellent influencing and negotiation skills.
* Excellent customer relationship skills.
* Exemplary team player.
* Familiarity and experience with Human Factors techniques and tools (Task Analysis, Mental Workload Assessment, Human Reliability Analysis).
* Familiar with Defence Standards, Military Standards and EC Directives.
* Familiarity of working in an AGILE manner
* Willing to travel within the UK and Overseas
Required Education & Experience
* Degree qualified in a relevant discipline. An MSc in Ergonomics or Human Factors would be advantageous.
* Proven experience leading HF activities and influencing the design on engineering development programmes in the defence industry, in a domain relevant to Human Factors and C4I Systems.
* Demonstrable understanding of the Systems Engineering lifecycle and the integration of HF activities within that lifecycle.
* Proven experience in working with sub-contractors through the integration, test and acceptance phases.
* Proven requirements development expertise and experience using DOORS.
* A strong appreciation of all Defence Lines of Development would be advantageous.
* Hold or be capable of holding security clearance up to the level of SECRET.
* Registered Membership of the CIEHF would be advantageous.
* Proven track record:
skills, abilities and domain knowledge sought, as outlined above, backed up by previous job role(s) and considerable relevant experience in systems/software development and integration projects
* Experience of delivering Human Factors on an AGILE Engineering programme
This is a fantastic opportunity to become part of one of the most forward thinking companies in the UK. If you believe that the prior details are relevant to your recent work experience then please do not hesitate to apply to this advert with you up to date CV.
Alternatively, you can submit your CV to stuart(dot)macdonald(at)modis(dot)co(dot)uk