This HR Officer role reports into, and works closely with the HR Manager and is responsible for providing a HR business partnering service to the practice groups within this international law firm.
Key responsibilities will be:
- Assist the client groups to develop their people where appropriate.
- Provide advice to line managers in the overall performance management process and provide appropriate coaching to ensure that a fair and consistent approach is adopted.
- Co-ordinate with the HR Manager the annual formal evaluation process.
- Assist in training (both formal and informal) of support staff in the annual appraisal process.
- Liaise with the L&D department and HR Managers on training and development needs to ensure appropriate coaching and training are implemented. Advise on relevant training courses where necessary.
- Carry out exit interviews for support staff and provide relevant feedback to the line managers
- Work closely with the HR Manager and assist in a whole range of employee relation issues and provide advice and guidance on employee relation matters and employment law.
- Management of sickness and other absence issues of support staff.
- Management of maternity and paternity leave for employees, including related time off to this.
- Manage flexible working requests liaising with the line manager and facilitating appropriate meetings within the necessary timescales.
- Provide advice and support to managers in relation to performance management and performance improvement, to ensure that a fair, supportive and commercial approach.
- Provide advice regarding amendments to terms and conditions as appropriate.
- To promote equality and diversity as part of the culture of the Firm.
- Take the lead as appropriate on employee performance issues - run disciplinary meetings and providing advice to the line manager to ensure compliant with the law.
- To assist the HR Manager with employee grievances - to manage the administration and act as note taker.
- To provide advice on pay and other remuneration issues, including promotion and benefits.
- To assist the HR Manager and the benefits team in the annual pay review and salary benchmarking process.
- Maintain a sound knowledge of the firm’s financial and non-financial reward systems and benefits packages and the Towers Watson benchmarking methodology.
- Provide advice on pay and other remuneration issues, including promotion and benefits.
- Work with the HR Assistant to ensure effective administration for all HR services.
- Manage the data in the HR system to ensure it is accurate and up to date.
- Produce standard reports e.g. turnover and absence for the HR Manager.
- To ensure global headcounts are produced accurately and timely.
Policies and Procedures
- Have a sound understanding of HR law in particular that relating to contracts, terms and conditions, discrimination, maternity/ paternity, fair dismissal and grievances. To take responsibility for updating personal knowledge relating to new Employment law.
- Have knowledge and understanding of all the firm's HR policies and their practical application in order to provide advice and support to staff and line management.
- Assist HR Manager in updating and reviewing HR policies as and when appropriate.
- To have a good understanding of the firm’s strategy and departmental business plans to ensure HR advice remains relevant and useful.
- Work with the recruitment officer to manage the end-to-end recruitment process for the relevant business partnering functions, liaising with recruitment providers, conducting interviews and ensuring excellent service delivery using CV Mail to manage the process.
- Assist line managers in identifying training needs and providing specific training as appropriate.
- Provide support and advice to the HR Assistant and the HR Intern as appropriate.
- Extensive use of the HR database; The People Portal.
- Contribute to HR team projects.
- Have knowledge and understanding of the firm's HR policies and their practical application in order to provide advice and support to staff and managers.
- Undertake ad hoc projects where necessary.
- Act as a representative at external HR events.
- Represent the firm in CSR initiatives.
The Successful Applicant:
- Previous experience as an HR Officer, ideally in a legal or professional services environment.
- Excellent client service skills, strives to provide the highest level of service to internal clients.
- Proven initiative and a proactive attitude.
- CIPD qualification or equivalent desirable.
- Thorough knowledge and awareness of latest developments in employment law.
- Excellent, proven organisational skills.
- Strong client management skills - comfortable dealing at all levels in the firm.
- Proven ability to provide a customer focused service.
- Commitment to the role and the team, very strong team player.
- Computer literacy including Word, Excel and HR database skills (HR Access Select).
This is a full time permanent role and is part of a lovely HR Team in a successful international law firm, offering good future progression opportunities. The salary is around the £35,000- £40,000 mark, but it’s worth discussing salary expectations.
If you would like to apply for this vacancy please do not hesitate to contact Rowena Bubb of Lewis Row Ltd for further information and a discussion.
- Employee Benefits
- Employee Relations
- HR Policies