To provide pro-active and reactive HR advice and support to employees, line managers and the HR team. To resolve queries and issues on a range of HR topics, providing and implementing practicable solutions in line with HR processes. To provide full support to the Head of HR in relation to HR administration. To work within areas of own expertise, reviewing working practices and implementing continuous improvements for the benefit of the department and Company. This is a broad HR role and as such your remit will include employee relations, performance, compensation and benefits as well as organisation-wide HR projects but with a strong bias to transactional HR.
- Work closely with the Head of HR during the pay and bonus review process. Provide guidance and knowledge to assist on negotiations with recognised trades unions and implement across the organisation.
- Work closely with the payroll manager and act as the main HR contact for all queries regarding payroll. Ensure all payroll information is submitted accurately and in line with set deadlines.
- Support Head of HR and HR Business Partners on all employee relations and HR issues in line with Company policy and best practice.
- Contribute to and support the implementation of people related projects in support of business objectives and the people plan.
- Act as the HR expert for pension issues and liaise with the pensions administrators to ensure compliance across the organisation.
- Process all new starters, movers and leavers, ensuring that all logistical elements are covered, and the process is completed effectively.
- Liaise with employees and Rail Staff Travel Limited on all safeguarded travel issues. Act as point of reference for all travel queries. Act as main contact with Rail Staff Travel Limited.
- Support the Head of HR and HR Partners in preparing timely management information each period.
- Complete project work / initiatives to deadlines and appropriate standards.
- Develop positive relationships with customers (internal and external) on a day to day basis to meet service provision requirements.
- Provide and develop specialist expertise to resolve queries.
- Provide HR support to the Company and HR department ensuring compliance across the organisation with policies and procedures.
- Manage an HR Inbox - respond to routine queries in a timely and appropriate manner and escalating where necessary the HR Business Partners
- Correspondence - Issue contracts and draft routine letters including change of role, maternity letters, etc and follow through relevant processes, ensuring employee files are updated
- HR System - update HR systems with contractual changes including salary, band, job title, hours, annual leave
- Create and analyse reports from the HR system (OpenHR/ HR Pro) and using Excel.
Skills & Experience
- Some experience of working in an HR team
- Understands the importance of accuracy both in terms of advice provided and paperwork and records kept
- Strong administrative experience and comfortable with a varied and time driven workload
- Intermediate/ highly proficient with Excel and Word including formulas, creating reports, etc.
- Strong attention to detail
- Customer focussed
- Able to work on own initiative as well as part of a team
- Experience of using an HR Database e.g. OpenHR/ HR Pro (highly desireable)