Housing Strategy and Enabling Manager
Temporary Contract (3-4 Months)
£35.00 per hour
This role can be divided into two main parts:
- ENABLING OF DELIVERY OF AFFORDABLE HOUSING
- This involves liaison with colleagues in Planning Services, developers and housing associations on individual sites and schemes in relation to the delivery of affordable housing. This may involve providing guidance on the application of affordable housing planning policies on applications or at the pre-application stage and advising developers as to the affordable housing mix we would expect on schemes. Candidate would also be providing comments on behalf of the local housing authority on particular applications, where Housing Services has been consulted. The postholder is likely to be asked to review draft S106 agreements to make sure that planning obligations around affordable housing are delivered. Working knowledge of viability and affordable housing would be desirable.
- The role also entails liaison with housing associations as to checking on progress of affordable housing delivery in the borough and encouraging them to bring forward development that meets our needs. This can involve the Council providing financial support to housing associations to deliver affordable housing and the candidate would be expected to be build good relationships with housing associations, build and / or review the business case for the Council providing support and be able to write and present reports to senior officers and Councillors setting out proposals for use of funding.
- The postholder may be required to prepare funding & nomination agreements linked to the above and drafting of operational protocols etc.
- STRATEGY & POLICY
- The postholder will be likely to help with development, monitoring and review of housing-related strategies, policies and special projects. Examples of projects in development relate to Homelessness Reduction Act and helping reduce need for temporary accommodation - e.g. through commissioning of housing-related support to help sustain tenancies and commissioning of a rough sleeper outreach service. You may also to be involved in corporate projects and lead for housing in relation to projects as diverse as equalities and diversity, energy and sustainability and communications. The latter could involve updating housing content on the Council’s web-page, helping deal with press enquiries and drafting press releases. Dealing with Freedom of Information requests.
- Helping monitor progress on delivery of the departmental annual service plan.
- General liaison with partner agencies and representing the service in corporate settings and the Council at external settings.
- Candidate to supervise on a day-to-day basis 1 member of staff (policy and research officer).
The successful candidate will have the ability to write and present reports and be confident and competent in communicating with the general public, colleagues (at different levels), outside agencies and Councillors. 4 years in Local Authority Housing Department/Registered Social Landlords or a voluntary housing sector organisation. Previous involvement in policy/strategy development, and ideally a member of the Chartered Institute of Housing.
Headstart Employment is an Equal Opportunity Employer