My client are a SE London Local Government officer who are currently seeking an experienced Housing Benefits Overpayment Recovery Officer.
*Candidates must have Housing Benefit Overpayment experience*
To investigate and assist with the efficient and effective collection and recovery of debts and other income due to the council. To maximise collection of income in accordance with Financial procedures and statutory regulations. To prepare and present cases on behalf of the council in the County Court, Magistrates Court and High Court.
Summary of responsibilities and personal duties
Deliver the service as directed by the Debtors and Enforcement Team Leader with regard to the efficient and effective collection, and recovery of income in accordance with legislative requirements and the division’s service objectives. To provide a high standard of service to the council's customers.
1. Provide guidance, advice and support to service users in relation to queries concerning collection of overpaid housing benefit and sundry debts.
2. To support and mentor less experienced staff, giving advice and guidance as required.
3. Advise customers of the recovery action to be taken if debts are not paid. Ensure all action is taken to maximise collection via enforcement legislation and external agencies and to negotiate payment plans for outstanding arrears.
4. Advise customers on the legislative framework upon which the service charge is levied or on which the overpayment has been created, for all debt types.
5. Take steps to trace debtors using all available methods.
6. Select and submit irrecoverable debt for write-off in line with delegated powers, audit requirements and internal procedures, including VAT Journals.
7. Comply with procedures to maintain an accurate and effective database, fulfil audit requirements meet/exceed internal and external accreditations.
8. To access other relevant computerised databases, including Oracle, Academy, and Controcc /IAS to extract relevant information.
If this sounds like the perfect next step in your career please do not hesitate to submit your CV
*ongoing temporary role*
Reed Specialist Recruitment Limited is an employment agency and employment business
Bank or payment details should not be provided when applying for a job. reed.co.uk is not responsible for any external website content. All applications should be made via the 'Apply now' button.Report this job