COME AND JOIN OUR TEAM AND MAKE A DIFFERENCE
Woking & Sam Beare Hospices is a patient-centred charity providing the best in specialist palliative care. We provide free of charge care and support for patients, their families and carers. The Hospice is brand new and requires an experienced senior housekeeper to lead a team of housekeepers and maintain our high standards. A rewarding role for the right person.
You need to have a housekeeping background with good supervisory experience. Housekeeping experience within the heathcare sector is required.
As housekeeping supervisor your duties will be to provide a comprehensive housekeeping service for patients, visitors and staff. You will work closely with the inpatient ward and front of house manager to ensure a high quality housekeeping service is provided that meets national and local standards. Two years previous housekeeping experience ideally in a healthcare environment is required with line management experience is of benefit. However essentially you must have experience of working in a housekeeping department. Salary will attract enhancements if working Bank Holidays. You will be part of a rota system and work early, late shifts but no nights shifts are required. - will include occassional weekend working at times. Good benefits and a friendly working environment.
- To ensure general cleaning and housekeeping across the Hospice is undertaken at frequencies defined in the cleaning schedule
- Work in conjunction with clinical and non-clinical staff to ensure appropriate access is gained in order to clean specific areas.
- To ensure a regular deep-cleaning programme for the Hospice is in place in line with national standards.
- To supervise the housekeeping staff.
- To be a "hands on" senior housekeeper undertaking all cleaning duties as required.
- Prioritise and plan own workload, undertake the planning and monitoring of work schedules and rotas ensuring cover is provided for absent colleagues where necessary
- Ensure that the cleaning operations comply with all the company’s and statutory requirements including Health and Safety at Work Act
- Maintain high standards of cleanliness and hygienic standards in all areas of the Hospice ensuring that the premises are kept tidy and presentable.
- Manage stock levels and ordering of approved cleaning materials
- Notify Inpatient Ward Manager of any faults or equipment needs noted while cleaning.
- Liaise with the Inpatient Ward Manager on turnaround of rooms to be cleaned, likely discharges and planned regular work assignments (e.g. curtain changes).
- Carry out routine checks to ensure that the Hospice Policies of Health and Safety as well as COSHH are being maintained.
- Schedules work and cleaning assignments for the housekeeping team and ensures the cleaning schedule is adjusted, posted and signed off by the Ward Manager
- To ensure daily removal of waste and placing refuse for disposal using the correct colour coded bags.
- To ensure all sanitary areas are cleaned daily including replenishing of essential supplies, e.g. paper hand towels, toilet rolls and soap.
- To undertake duties using on site equipment as appropriate, e.g. vacuum cleaner, scrub polisher, carpet cleaner, etc.
- Handle and store linen and maintain adequate stock levels.
- To ensure all cleaning cupboards are kept sufficiently stocked, tidy and locked as appropriate
- To be aware of how to prevent cross-infection as advised by the qualified nursing staff and to comply with guidelines on safe handling of contaminated articles and hand washing procedures.
- To meet the requirements of the Health and Safety At Work Act by regularly attending fire, basic food hygiene moving and handling and safety instruction and being aware of the procedure to be followed in own working area
- Responds to and prioritises requests for contingency/unplanned work and performs housekeeping duties when required and to cover absent staff.
- Conducts department orientation, training and in-services as needed for housekeeping staff
- Performs regular inspections with departmental managers to ensure staff are following established procedures in order to meet compliance and regulatory guidelines and to provide infection control.
- Ensure a high standard of cleanliness throughout the Hospice premises, making sure that all areas are kept tidy and that they comply with Health and Safety regulations.
- Attend mandatory and other courses as required.
- Investigate complaints regarding housekeeping service and equipment and take corrective action.
- Ensure that all housekeeping staff maintain the highest possible degree of hygiene and cleanliness throughout the areas of responsibility.
- To be responsible for the ordering, issuing and security of all stock for housekeeping
- Maintaining the security of any keys entrusted to the staff by following an accurate signing in and signing our procedure.
- Prepare and distribute accordingly the weekly staffing schedules
- To check and authorize the weekly timesheets and annual leave
To take personal responsibility for the correct use of chemicals for the type of surface and finish required, making certain the handling and usage of such are in line with COSHH regulations, data sheets and instructions given.
- Communication Skills
- Infection Control
- Line Management