We have a unique opportunity for someone who is passionate about great conservation. As the House Steward, you’ll play an important part of the house team. Variety is the order of the working day; you’ll be involved in everything from general housekeeping and preparing the house for special events, to providing tours to our visitors.
What it's like to work here
Take a trip back in time to the 1760s at this spectacular Neo-classical mansion framed by historic parkland. Designed for lavish entertaining and displaying an extensive collection of paintings, sculpture and original furnishings, Kedleston is a stunning example of the work of architect Robert Adam.
The Curzon family have lived here since the 12th-century and continue to live at the Hall. Lord Curzon's Eastern Museum is a treasure trove of fascinating objects acquired on his travels in Asia and while Viceroy of India.
What you'll be doing
You’ll be responsible for the daily opening of the house, ensuring appropriate resources are in place to be able to provide a consistently excellent service for our visitors. Working with a team of Conservation Assistants, you'll manage the team responsible for implementing conservation routines, preventive conservation and annual deep cleaning programme within the house to ensure excellent standards of care, delivering strategies to improve conservation.
You'll collect and record information during housekeeping cleaning routines to inform our understanding of the house and the collection, and use preventive conservation techniques to improve how we conserve, interpret and present the property. You’ll enjoy telling visitors about our fascinating history, sharing tales from the past as well as your personal experience of working here.
Who we're looking for
We'd love to hear from you if you:
- Are inspired by all things Heritage and Conservation
- Have good working knowledge of collections care and preventive conservation with an awareness of Museum Accreditation standards
- Have an impressive eye for even the smallest of details and are comfortable working from height to help keep the house well-presented at all times
- Have knowledge of Health & Safety and emergency procedures.
- Can help to support volunteers to perform at their best
- Have excellent people skills and are a good team player, enabling strong relationships to be built and maintained
- Have some knowledge and experience of managing budgets and finance
Looking after you
- Health cash plan - from as little as £2.81 per month for you and your dependents
- Pension contribution match up to 10%
- EAP and proactive Health and Wellbeing
- Discounted gym membership
Looking after your career
- Grow your career through professional training courses across the Trust
- Develop your skills with an internal secondment
- Pay review linked to values and behaviours, commitment to progression
- Income protection due to illness
Unique to Us
- Work in some of the most beautiful, iconic and unique locations in the UK
- Free entry to NT properties for you, a guest and your children (under 18)
- 20% off in our retail and catering outlets
- Discount up to 35% off a National Trust holiday cottage booking
Bank or payment details should not be provided when applying for a job. reed.co.uk is not responsible for any external website content. All applications should be made via the 'Apply now' button.Report this job