Hospital Porter Sheffield Patient Movement / 7day Cover Porters
Job Title: Hospital Porters
Responsible to: Portering Manager
Reports to: Head Porter
Minimum Qualifications Required: Educated to GSCE Grade D or equivalent
Minimum Length of Previous Experience Required: Nil
Moving patients and/ or items from Wards and Departments
Assist with providing a high standard Portering Service
ROLE OF THE DEPARTMENT
To provide an efficient and effective Portering Service
MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES (in priority order)
1. The transfer of patients from wards and departments, in beds, wheelchairs or
stretcher via internal Ambulance making sure patient is secure to travel.
2. Move patients with assistance and instruction from professional staff.
3. Transfer deceased patients to Mortuary, assist with viewing out of hours.
4. Check and clean vehicles as instructed.
5. Act under instruction from medical/nursing staff in the event of a cardiac arrest or
other emergencies i.e. Fire Alert.
6. Remove waste from disposal areas and take to collection point, strictly adhering
to the Trust Waste Disposal Policy.
7. Remove dirty linen sacks from disposal areas and take to appropriate collection
points, deliver clean linen when required.
8. Deliver stores/supplies / Sharpesmart as appropriate to all wards and departments.
9. Change medical gas cylinders as required.
10. Collect X-Rays from main office to storage weekly.
11. Contact wards for availability of patients.
12. Report any scrap items in waste rooms to Head Porter.
13. To transfer items to store room.
14. Messenger, to hospital wards & Ambulance Staff
Daily vehicle check :-
Oil and water top up as required
Diesel fuel top up as required
Report any defects to the Ambulance or
Equipment to the Head Porter
Ambulance to be cleaned inside as required -
Outside at least once per week
Complete daily record information
15. To sort and deliver all mail to appropriate wards and departments.
16. To collect all internal and external mail from wards and departments and take
to Post Room.
17. The internal transportation of Medical Records, X-Ray Folders and any other
files or documents i.e. Lab Reports
18. To ensure two postal rounds are completed AM and two postal rounds are
19. To assist in the Post Room when required.
20. Collect empty waste bins from the undercroft and return when full.
21. Remove all empty RDC Cages from corridors to collection points.
22. Assist with Autoclave.
23. Waste and laundry clear off All areas.
24. Assist with Blood/Cultures in the event of chute breakdown, also collection
of blood samples from hospital Wing out of hours.
25. The escorting of medical staff for the collection of drugs / blood.
26. To Cover Charge-hand duties when requested including inputting information on to the data base .
Adhere to and share responsibility for implementation of Trust Policies and Local
Departmental Rules including: -
1. Health & Safety
2. Confidentiality Data Protection
3. Attendance at Mandatory Training including Moving & Handling
4. Fire Procedures
5. Infection Control
6. Uniform Policy
7. Assist with induction of new starters, as directed
6. FINANCIAL MANAGEMENT RESPONSIBILITIES (including estimated size of budget)
7. HUMAN RESOURCES MANAGEMENT RESPONSIBILITIES (including numbers and grades of staff
8. ASSET MANAGEMENT RESPONSIBILITIES (i.e. stock, equipment, buildings)
Ambulance vehicles, beds and wheelchair
9. WORKING RELATIONSHIPS (please identify the main personnel with whom the postholder will be
required to communicate with and advise internally and externally)
a) Communicate with:
Nursing, Medical staff, Patients, General public, line manager and deputy, Porters
b) Provide advice to:
Nursing staff and colleagues
This job description is not meant to be finite and may be changed subject to the exingencies of the service. Similarly the postholder may be requested to undertake such other duties not mentioned in the job description which are commensurate with the grade.
PLEASE EMAIL YOUR CV IN THE FIRST INSTANCE
DBS Required along with ten year work history without any gaps
Bank or payment details should not be provided when applying for a job. reed.co.uk is not responsible for any external website content. All applications should be made via the 'Apply now' button.Report this job
"Office Assistant jobs in London"
'Saved search name'