Highways England are responsible for operating, maintaining and improving England's motorways and major A roads. Over recent years, investment in our highways has increased, this has led to advances in technology, such as smart motorways; enabling traffic to flow better. However, even more is yet to be done. Considering that a third of all traffic, two thirds of heavy goods vehicles, and 98% of UK businesses rely on them, and you can see why our roads, and what we do, matters so much.
It's an exciting time to begin a career with Highways England as we invest £11 billion in our motorways and A Roads boosting capacity, tackling congestion and improving safety which is why we're so grateful to our c 4,500 employees around the country. At the same time, we'll improve how we work. That means we will be able to; plan roadworks better to minimise disruption; clear incidents more quickly; and save more than £1 billion by working more efficiently. When you work with us, you're helping to connect communities, sustain business and support the economy.
For further information on Highways England, please visit our website: www.highwaysengland.co.uk
We have two opportunities for Highways Inspectors, one to be based at Pytchley Highways England depot and the other at Leicester Forest East Depot, please see addresses below:
Leicester Forest East:
Leicester Forest East
Leicester Forest East
Pytchley Highway Maintenance Compound
As Highways Inspector you will be required to complete inspections of designated Route(s) and highways assets, in line with agreed inspections schedules, procedures and standards. The role will have on duty responsibility and may be required to work unsociable hours.
Day to Day
* To carry out cyclical and ad-hoc highways asset inspections in line with agreed timescales and procedures, ensuring that asset condition and all inspection findings, such as defects and defect causes, are recorded in the relevant systems in line with data capture standards
* To ensure the health and safety needs and wellbeing of customers and employees are fully considered and accounted for throughout the planning and delivery of each service activity
* To carry out timely inspections of reactive asset repairs, and escalate any cause for concern such as works delays and/or reoccurring quality issues
* To report and raise work requests for high priority safety defects on the network
* To monitor event signage and illegal signage on the network
* To be available for on duty responsibilities, attending incident sites and providing advice
* Evidence of knowledge of highways law applicable to the inspection and maintenance of highways
* Experience of planning and undertaking Inspections of the types of highway assets found on the strategic road network
* Experience in data collection and use of data capture devices
* Evidence of good IT skills including Microsoft Office packages
* Evidence of effective stakeholder management and communication skills
* Full valid driving license
* Working towards qualification as New Roads and Street Works Act NRSWA supervisor or equivalent
So we can really get to know you and what you can offer please include a CV with your application. You're also encouraged to include a covering note explaining how you're a great match for us: so please tell us how your skills, experience and qualifications meet both the role, and Highways England, requirements.
For further information please review the job profile.
All candidates will be required to provide valid proof of Right to Work in the UK and ID at interview.
We're expecting this role to be popular, so we may need to close the advert early if response is strong so to avoid disappointment, please apply as soon as possible
Help keep England moving. We look forward to hearing from you.
For a full list of our vacancies please apply at recruitment.highways.gov.uk/