About the role
We are looking for Highways Inspectors undertaking Safety Inspections, Auditing of Contractors Works, Insurance Inspections and Crossover functions in order to effectively and efficiently meet the Councils Network Management duties.
With 700km of road and 1400km of footways, the London Borough of Barnet is the second largest of the London Boroughs. In 2015, the London Borough of Barnet became the most populous borough in London. This increase has been driven in part by the council growth agenda and by the popularity of Barnet as a place to live, with high quality housing and good transport connections. The management, maintenance and improvement of Barnet complex and vital network is the responsibility of the Highways department of Re. From construction to completion; our highways team deal with all elements of highway design and works not only for Barnet, but for other local authorities. The London Borough of Barnet is a vibrant, exciting and fast paced environment. It is definitely not a sleepy council.
Purpose of Job:
- To operate within a team of Highway Inspectors undertaking Safety Inspections, Insurance Inspections and Crossover functions in order to effectively and efficiently meet the Councils Network Management duties.
- Auditing of completed works undertaken by the Highways Term Contractor.
- To assist the Senior Highways Inspector to ensure that the Inspections and other operations are carried out in accordance with documented procedures and in compliance with recommended codes of practice and to agreed timescales.
- Ensure the cost effective and efficient co-ordination of required works identified through the inspections including making effective use of internal resources and external contractors as needed.
- Effectively oversee the works carried out by third party contractors and the Authority to ensure compliance with regard to instructions, specifications, timescales and quality of works.
- To assist in minimising claims and litigation opportunities by fully documenting all observations from site visits/investigations and ensuring appropriate actions are taken in accordance with documented procedures.
- Assist the Senior Highways Inspector in developing procedure documents which clearly define operational process and procedures.
- Assist the Senior Highways Inspector in producing reports as required that demonstrates that process and procedures are being complied with.
- To assist the Senior Highways Inspector in ensuring that the needs of customers and users of the public highway network in Barnet are met where the Council is responsible, justified and appropriate action is taken to establish and understand these needs and feedback is given.
- To ensure optimum levels of effective and efficient work output in line with agreed targets, priorities, service plans and the Corporate Plan.
- To carry out highway inspections, monitoring and investigations and record such in accordance with Codes of Practice and documented Policy and Procedure.
- Ensure effective liaison with other colleagues, services and appropriate outside agencies in order to facilitate efficient working.
- Promote continuous improvement and best value in the work of the section and to the service.
- Undertake inspections in line with key performance indicators and assessment tools to enable improvements to service and quality.
- To represent the Council and/or the Service, when necessary, and attend meetings, area forum, working parties, steering groups and public meetings as necessary and required.
- Assist in dealing with all claims, legal challenges and disputes against the Council that can have an impact financially and in terms of service delivery.
- Ensure that Customer Care strategies are implemented in accordance with agreed Council standards and practices.
- Ensure that communication processes within the team is efficient, timely and responsive to the needs of Members, council officers, service users and other stakeholders.
- Adhere to individual performance objectives linked to those of the Service and corporate organisation.
- To attend appraisals and regular one-to-one meetings with Senior Highway Inspector to ensure targets are met.
- Maintain an efficient, timely and responsive communication processes to and from staff in the group.
- Ensure full compliance with the Council Health and Safety policies and maintain a high Health and Safety profile.
- Assist the Senior Highways Inspector in providing reports and financial information to the Highways Maintenance Manager.
- Ensure that information is available to enable accounts to be submitted on a monthly basis so that payments can be made to contractors in a timely manner.
- Keep accurate documentation to be used as justification for sums paid and/or monies withheld due to evidence of non-compliance.
- Assist as necessary with disputes relating to charges/invoices to ensure that income and budgets are not adversely impacted.
In order to deliver the service effectively, a degree of flexibility is needed and the post-holder may be required to perform work not specifically referred to above. Such duties, however, will fall within the scope of the post, at the appropriate grade.
If this is something you are interested in please press apply now or call the team on .