The Health and Safety Advisor will assist the Head of Health and Safety to monitor and advise on all health, safety and regulating compliance issues in the Scientific Research Facility.
My Client is a is a research institute dedicated to the understanding of important biological processes to provide knowledge needed to solve key problems in human health. They are currently seeking a Health and Safety Advisor to join their team based in Cambridge on a permanent basis.
You will provide Health and Safety advice to key stakeholders on a wide range of topics. You will create productive relationships with the research staff and use a pragmatic approach to health and safety, whilst ensuring standards and supporting research.
Work with the Head of Health and Safety to devise and deliver the H&S strategy. You must produce reports and action plans and negotiate necessary actions.
You will be required to champion SHE Department and the Head of Health and Safety, as directed, including attending relevant meetings.
Problem solve on complex matters, taking into account previous experience and knowledge. To conduct and lead on health and safety inspections, audits and evaluate working practices.
You will take the lead on accident investigations ensuring root causes are identified and appropriate measures are implemented in a timely manner.
You will act as the primary Advisor on Facilities and Fire, lead on the specific topic area, providing an expert level of knowledge and acting as the subject matter expert.
To apply and interpret specialist knowledge in order to give advice in line with relevant legislation. Taking into account a range of influencing factors such as; business need, legislative requirements and user needs.
To lead on the production of health and safety policies, procedures, guidance notes and documentation. To negotiate and oversee their introduction and implementation, as part of the process of continual improvement. Including contributing information and guidance for the H&S webpages. Setting strategic direction in consultation with the Head of Health and Safety for the specific topic areas.
Be aware of current and emerging technical and professional aspects of health and safety to maintain an appropriate level of personal awareness and knowledge. Provide verbal and written reports of assurance to senior management, as required.
Ensure compliance with specific reporting and record keeping requirements in relation to statutory and regulatory requirements. To establish and maintain H&S systems of assurance and compliance for specialist topic areas.
To work collaboratively to ensure any risks are appropriately controlled. Undertake risk assessments or advise other assessors and review them as required. Design and deliver appropriate Health and Safety training.
- NEBOSH Level 3 General Certificate in Occupational Health and Safety or equivalent qualification.
- A degree or equivalent experience
- Technical membership of a professional H&S body.
- Experience of H&S management systems.
- Extensive experience of working within a H&S role including experience within an academic or research environment.
- Background in accident/incident investigation and root-cause analysis.
- Experience in Laboratory hazards, associated controls and working practices including chemical, biological or radiation safety.
- Laboratory experience, preferably handling chemical and/or biological materials.
- A strong understanding of The Control of Substances Hazardous to Health (COSHH) regulations.
- An understanding of related legislation, such as the Genetically Modified Organisms (Contained Use) Regulations and the Dangerous Substances and Explosive Atmospheres Regulations (DSEAR).
Health and Safety Advisor
36 Hours per week
£27,906- £38,937 plus £3,000 RRA
- Health and Safety Advisor