Job Title: Head of Unique Challenges
Reporting to: Chief Executive/Event Director
Contract Type: Permanent, Full Time
Hours of work: Normal hours of work are 37.5 hours per week, 7.5 hours per day. Start times between 8am and 10am. Finish times from 4.30pm - 6.30pm. This role will require evening and weekend work which will be scheduled in advance. Time in lieu will be given for any such scheduled work. Unscheduled additional hours may be required from time to time. No overtime payments are made.
Holidays: 25 days holiday plus BH.
Events: All staff are required to work weekends at events. In addition, they are required to participate in some form at 2 or 3 other events, most of which take place at weekends.
Overall purpose of job
Walk the Walk has an ever growing 'shopping list’ of Walking Challenges from 3 miles to 100 miles. The role will require managing the Unique Challenges Team who will oversee these small team events; from launch, recruitment, planning, operations, payments and above all ensuring that all Walk the Walk participants are made to feel welcome, appreciated and very special. To develop new Challenges as part of the Walk the Walk portfolio.
This role requires a person with a strong business and negotiating acumen, experienced at event management and great warmth and compassion for our walkers.
All aspects of this position are aimed at achieving the charities financial and non-financial targets.
Key result areas
Unique Challenges - In fulfilling the purpose of this role the Head of Unique Challenges will:
- Manage the day to day operation of the Unique Challenges Team; ensuring that all responsibilities, targets and deadlines are met within a timely manner. This involves cross-organisational working with various departments within the charity.
- Take the lead in the planning, creation and execution of new Unique Challenges. Developing sustainable, financially viable, long term projects, reviewing the current events portfolio, understanding market trends and technology.
- Managing multiple activity income streams. Finance - oversee that all payments from Walkers are received in a timely manner by the Finance Team. Fundraising - review and confirm that each individuals fundraising for the events is received on time, and any relevant communications are delivered in an appropriate manner and this is in conjunction with the Chief Executive and Fundraising Team.
- Set annual targets and budgets; assessing their impact and value. Accounting for all expenditure. Forecasting participant targets for the upcoming and financial year/s. It is an essential part of the role to ensure that targets and goals are met within each event and to continually evaluate the strategy to give the highest customer care.
- Managing all financial and logistical aspects of arranging for our Walkers and staff to travel to other parts of the country or world.
- Managing commercial relationships with Operators and agencies logistical operations for each challenge and handling the relevant deadlines and payments required for these.
- Supporter Care - working closely with the Chief Executive in developing supporter care programs. Oversee that the Unique Challenges Team delivers the very best supporter care to our supporters and fundraisers.
- Marketing, Advertising and Social Media - working in conjunction with other staff teams to create compelling and interesting copy; to recruit, inform and inspire our Walkers to support the charity in its short and long term objectives.
- Working with various online platforms; charitable databases, online registration systems and CMS website platforms to enable the challenges to launch and then the management of the Challenges day to day functions.
- Oversee Training Walks and Information Day operations; together with the Unique Challenge staff members.
- Leadership - developing leadership programs together with the Chief Executive to cultivate staff to support, lead and manage Challenges. Including leading staff briefings and presentations to Supporters.
- Line Managing 2 direct reports
- Lead Training Walks and Challenges as part of the Unique Challenges portfolio.
- Ensure compliance is carried out including Terms & Conditions, Risk Assessments and appropriate Health & Safety practices.
Other Walk the Walk Events
At key times the Head of Unique Challenges and the Unique Challenges team will be required to assist the rest of the Events Team in aspects of the production of the MoonWalks and any other of the charities flagship events.
For any event it is imperative to keep concise, accurate and comprehensive detail of all activities connected to the challenge. This includes, budgeting, purchase orders, written communication to suppliers and confirmation of decisions, briefing and de-briefing notes.
- 5 years’ experience within the Events industry
- 2 years’ management experience
- Degree or equivalent
- Previous experience of working within the Charity sector
- An interest and/or experience in fitness and health
- A qualification in event management
Aptitude and skills
- Excellent communications skills written and verbal
- Exceptional organisation skills
- Target and goal orientated
- Must have excellent attention to detail
- The ability to prioritise work and deal with a variety of different tasks
- The ability to be very flexible and adaptable while working under pressure
- The ability to use initiative creatively
- Can work to and manage multiple deadlines
- Physical ability to take part in challenges
- An uplifting and positive character
- A good team player
- Have the ability to make others feel relaxed and cared for
Bank or payment details should not be provided when applying for a job. reed.co.uk is not responsible for any external website content. All applications should be made via the 'Apply now' button.Report this job