Head of Science required for secondary school in Margate. L7-L12 (£45743-£51639) September 2018
- Are you an experienced Head of Science looking to make a real impact?
- Would you like the opportunity to rebuild a Science Department with the freedom to take risks and innovate?
- Do you have high expectations of teaching and learning with a belief that every child deserves a fantastic education to empower them with the best chance in life?
- If the answer to these questions is a resounding yes, then I encourage you to read below about this unique opportunity to be part of an aspiring school with clear and transparent objectives.
What's it like to teach at Hartsdown Academy?
Hartsdown is a beautifully inclusive school and I am immensely proud of the care the school takes over every single child.
What does our Science Department need?
The Department effectively requires a committed, ambitious and talented senior leader, with the freedom to innovate and take some risks where necessary - but with a mandate to place science back at the heart of school life, where it deserves to be.
What are we looking for in you?
I'm looking to find someone who shares our belief that an effective education in an outstanding school is the key to giving children the life chances they deserve and need in order to make a contribution to society.
This an exciting opportunity to make your mark building a department and putting science at the centre of the school. You will be ambitious, well qualified, an outstanding classroom teacher and possess strong leadership, management and interpersonal skills, with a proven record of raising achievement.
The successful candidate will have whole-school teaching and learning responsibility in the area of Science, to include:
- Ensuring all students make rapid and sustained progress
- Developing KS4 curriculum and embedding in the department
- Managing staff to ensure outstanding teaching and learning within the department
- Building innovative and creative learning that ensures every child achieves at or above national expectations
- Opportunities for other whole school leadership dependent on experience and interest
In return we will offer you:
- Being part of a new leadership team, with a new head teacher committed to making Hartsdown an amazing school
- Real opportunities to innovate and lead
- An exciting environment where you can really make a difference
- Being part of a small local trust that is totally committed to its staff and children
- Significant opportunities for CPD and development
Who are we supported by?
Hartsdown Academy is a part of a local trust, Coastal Academies Trust, which includes a grammar school, two other local secondaries and a primary, in Cliftonville, which has just been found by Ofsted to be outstanding. We share collective responsibility for each other, sharing practice and sharing challenge. We have agreed that whether we flourish or suffer as schools, we will do so together. This means that whatever experience and expertise we have, we will share. For a senior leader on the road to headship, this is a fantastic advantage. You will have my complete support and commitment, as well as that of my colleagues at Hartsdown - but also the combined expertise, experience and support of senior leaders across the Trust, with plenty of opportunity to share ideas, experiment and take risks together to improve the quality of education we offer.
What is the area like?
Thanet is a beautiful coastal area, with miles and miles of sandy, blue flag beaches. Housing is reasonable and the architecture is spectacular, with Regency, Edwardian and Victorian houses across the three towns of Ramsgate, Broadstairs and Margate. The Turner Contemporary Gallery is part of a scheme to make Margate an artisan centre, with all sorts of interesting and quirky businesses being set up locally. Thanet is 'shabby chic' and increasingly regarded by the young London intelligentsia as the cool place to be. It's a fantastic place to bring up a family, close to London and to the continent, affordable and interesting - but also at the cutting edge of education, because this is where the nation has to get its education policy right if we are to transform the UK into a more equal society.
I will expect you to be a core part of the leadership team, sharing collective responsibility for the whole school. However, if you have the ambition, the talent and the commitment, then there could be no better professional opportunity than this. If you are successful, then you will be a part of a team that makes this school outstanding and you will have acquired the experience, expertise and the right to be a Senior Leader.
Don't take our word for it, find out for yourself.
If this is of interest to you, please feel free to meet with me and visit the school prior to applying. Check me out and see whether what I have written is true. If you would like, you can also meet with the Executive Head of
the Trust, Paul Luxmoore. We will take you very seriously - because we want you to take us seriously too.
For more information about working with us and to obtain an application pack please contact our recruitment partner, Hazel Baxter at Hays Education on or