Head of Programme - Defence. Stakeholder Engagement / Public Affairs. Trade Association. Central London. Full Time Permanent role. £43k to £50k.
A stunning opportunity for a membership / Stakeholder engagement / Public Affairs professional with experience engaging with the defence sector to head of a team of high quality individuals who focus on the following:
· Developing markets for members;
· Developing relationships and networks within the membership and externally;
· Reducing business costs;
· Reducing business risks.
The Defence Team is responsible for the delivery of the Defence Programme. The programme represents the interests of over 300 tech companies of all sizes, from challenger new entrants, start-ups to FTSE 100 companies working with a range of government departments and agencies to transform the delivery of our public services and enhance operational effectiveness. Our aim is to help members to develop their networks and markets and help reduce business cost and risk.
Defence is an established and successful programme and we are looking for a talented and self-motivated individual to lead this important work and the team that delivers it. You will be the focal point for all work in the defence environment, working with senior industry leaders to set the agenda and execute a comprehensive suite of actions to deliver against clear and deliverable strategic objectives.
The role will require you to deliver against a range of financial and performance targets (including membership growth and retention), income manage and develop a team of talented professionals and provide guidance on all defence matters to the senior management team.
The role gives you exposure to and the opportunity to work with industry leaders from some of the most exciting tech companies around and public sector leaders from across the defence and security environment as well as pioneers in the field of cyber security.
The role would suit an experienced individual with expert knowledge of the UK Defence landscape who is comfortable working under pressure and against targets with competing demands in a fast-paced working environment. The role requires the ability to work with a diverse range of very senior industry and government stakeholders and would suit a confident communicator (verbal and written) who can bring vision, credibility and gravitas.
This role requires someone who has the communication skills, confidence and drive to grow their own profile and that of the organisation as a whole.
· Support the development, implementation and communication of the Defence Programme in a way that meets the needs of existing and potential members;
· Support the inception, set-up and execution of programme events and meetings;
· Promote the programme though insights, opinions, social media and PR activities;
· Lead, inspire and manage direct reports. Allocate work-loads and responsibilities to ensure the most effective use of resources and support the personal and professional development of direct reports;
· Draft reports, papers, articles and meeting notes as requested;
· Support relevant working groups and maintain liaison with group members;
· Assist in maintaining all relevant parts of the website to a high standard;
· Maintain all relevant records on the CRM system;
· Identify and exploit cross-fertilisation opportunities with other programmes within the organisation;
· Liaise with other teams to assist in a successful programme of press coverage, events, internal and external marketing and to ensure they are kept fully informed of major policy initiatives;
· Any other duties that might from time to time be required.
- A self-motivated individual with positive can-do approach who is comfortable working in a high pressure, fast-paced environment with competing demands, and responding to tight deadlines.Good organisational skills and attention to detail.
- Leadership and People Management skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to get to grips with complex technical information and to communicate this effectively to a range of audiences.
- A team player
- Ability to identify, propose and negotiate new opportunities and services for the organisation
- Ability to carry out agreed objectives with a minimum of supervision.
- Capability to use the tools and technologies the organisation provides, including but not limited to Microsoft Office, CRM, Social Media, Web tools and home working software.
Essential Knowledge and Experience
· Strong interest in technology, innovation and the tech industry.
· High level of demonstrable knowledge, experience and networks within the Defence sector/ industry.
· Experience of managing relationships with a diverse range of stakeholders and is comfortable working with senior individuals in Industry and within government.
· Demonstrates a broad understanding of the technology industry landscape and the positioning and role of trade bodies.
Desired Knowledge and Experience
· Comfortable with public speaking.
· Understanding of the economic, social and political environment, members’ business sectors and business models, stakeholders and their drivers.