This is an exciting opportunity to join to high growth company to be part of the management team that will shape the business to ensure the people are at the forefront of the business and have the tools to do a great job. You will need experience of implementing change and leading the safety agenda.
The Head of Health & Safety is responsible for leading the Health & Safety (H&S) agenda, helping to ensure it is a top priority for all their people. You will review, set and revise the H&S strategy, policies and processes to ensure they enable the people to do both a great and safe job every day. H&S must make sense and be relevant to all the people, providing them with the awareness, training and safe working practices so they can concentrate fully on doing their best work.
You will be tasked with ensuring they continuously improve their H&S performance, prioritising activities and improvement initiatives according to likely risk areas and the best business impacts.
Key Job Deliverables
- Safe Environment: it is critical that our people are as safe as possible in their jobs. The individual will be passionate about our people going home in the same, if not better condition than when they reported for work.
- Legal: it is critical that we meet and can demonstrate our compliance with all legislative or contractual obligations, and that wherever possible we meet best practice / standard approaches to H&S issues.
- Monitored and Documented: it is critical that our activities are closely monitored, analysed and actions documented, demonstrating our commitment to H&S.
Key Personal Attributes Required
- Business acumen: it will be critical that the jobholder is able to focus on the business objective behind any job duties/processes, and to take a pragmatic approach to safety which balances the mitigation of risk alongside the extent to which it negatively impacts being able to "get the job done". They will be able to take both a strategic, and pragmatic approach to H&S.
- Organisational skills: The jobholder must have excellent organisational skills, able to demonstrate flexibility to meet multiple deadlines, working both with others for their time as well as driven to work autonomsly when required.
- Interpersonal skills: the jobholder must have excellent interpersonal skills in order to get "buy in" to safety as a top priority across the organisation. They will need to excel in written, verbal and presentation skills, as well as be able to influence and coach people at all levels.
Key Responsibility Areas: the 3-5 major areas of responsibility with a brief explanation of expected activities
Strategy, Policies and Processes
- Continously review H&S performance and the adequacy of current approaches.
- Devise a strategy to place H&S at the heart of our activities, and design appropriate but pragmatic policies and procedures that make H&S an enabler to doing a great job.
Risk Management & Operational H&S
- Ensure risks are identified, analysed and mitigated appopriately.
- Document risks and decisions on required actions, making documentation available to all relevant parties as required.
- Implement policies and procedures, advising management on best practice, legal requirements and agreed approach.
- Report on H&S activities, risks, accidents and incidents to management and other required parties (eg HSE) as necessary.
- Investigate H&S issues/accidents/incidents promptly, providing lessons learned and actions to ensure risks are further mitigated.
- Ensure all legislative requirements are documented and regularly monitored. Where improvements/actions are required ensure responsibility is assigned, timelines for actions agreed and reporting regularly made on progress.
Training and Awareness
- Design and implement appropriate awareness and training activities to ensure our people know how to complete their work safely.
- Ensure our people are reporting accidents/incidents and demonstrate to them these reports will be dealt with in confidence, with integrity and a focus on constructively improving H&S.
- Communicate regularly with our people across the business to ensure H&S is on their agenda, they are updated on developments, and are aware of points of interest.
Projects and Improvements
- Plan, implement and regularly communicate improvement activities, documenting progress and improvements as appropriate.
- Health & Safety
Bank or payment details should not be provided when applying for a job. reed.co.uk is not responsible for any external website content. All applications should be made via the 'Apply now' button.Report this job