Job reference number 86444
Head of Enterprise Architecture
Royal Mail Broadgate
Not many companies can say they’ve been around for 500 years and were founded by Henry VIII, but we can. Royal Mail is the UK’s designated Universal Postal Service Provider, supporting customers, businesses and communities around the country. We are the only postal company to provide a one-price-goes-anywhere, six days a week service to more than 29 million addresses across the UK.
It is an exciting time to join Royal Mail. As one of the UK's leading companies, we generated revenue of £9,776m in 2016-17. On top of this, we have recently undertaken an extensive review and transformation of the Technology function, one of the largest IT transformation programmes across the UK. With this transformation now complete, there is significant potential for growth and success.
Digital is now at the heart of our business and drives our vision of enabling smarter working - from Front Line colleagues through to Head Office. At the same time we strive to deliver innovative products and services through a world class customer experience.
Empower decision makers across RMG to make better decisions relating to RMGs information technology estate.
Provide thought leadership on strategic direction of technology estate
Lead a team of enterprise architects to ensure decision makers across RMG have the information they require to make effective technology decisions
- Create re-usable architectural views covering people, process, information and technology that are both tailored to and accessible by a wide range of stakeholders yet built with architectural rigour and industry best practice
- Create re-usable solution building blocks for enterprise services to support projects and programme delivery
- Create architectural roadmaps of how the technology estate can evolve
- Gain input and buy in from senior executives to strategic roadmaps for the evolution of the technology estate and services
- Actively and constantly engage with the wider RMG architectural community to gain input and agreement with target states and roadmaps
- Ensure a common understanding across technology and wider business of how the people, processes, information and applications that make up the technology estate support the business
- Provide advice and guidance to projects and programme steering groups to ensure re-use of enterprise components and services and alignment to strategic roadmaps
- Create a common understanding of the direction the technology estate needs to develop in order to support the business strategies
- Build up and strengthen, by documenting the current and future IT services, the Information Technologies repository of knowledge (iServer)
- Work in collaboration with fellow teams to ensure work is mutually supportive and that there is a consistent look and feel of outputs from the team
- Undertake research, including the production of white papers, to bring outside thinking, industry best practice and emerging trend knowledge into RMG in an applicable and practical way
- Reporting identified risks, dependencies, problems, challenges and complexities to the Technology leadership
- Introduction of best practice, common methods and approaches
- Feed into relevant industry forums and build a reputation as a thought leader within discipline
Reports to: Head of Technical Design Authority
- Owns the RMG Enterprise Architecture
- 5-6 Direct reports
- Team leadership and management and assign priorities according to areas of greatest strategic importance (i.e. managing resource with a finite team)
- Ability to work in a matrix organisation where responsibilities are federated
- Proven experience and expertise in enterprise architecture
- Expert in creating clear accessible architectural deliverables covering people, process, information and application viewpoints
- Demonstrable experience in gaining buy in to architectural visions and roadmaps from both senior stakeholders and wider architectural communities
- Likely to be educated to degree level with a broad knowledge of IS/IT and Engineering
- Effective interpersonal , influencing and engagement skills
- Experience of Architecture Frameworks e.g. TOGAF desirable.
We are an inclusive employer with equality, diversity and fairness at the heart of our values. We welcome applications from individuals from all different backgrounds and are committed to promoting fair participation and equality of opportunity for all of our job applicants.
Closing Date: 21/03/2018
Architecture, Engineer, Information Technology, IT Architecture, Engineering, Technology